What's a good fare for Alaska?

Oct 1st, 2010, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

What's a good fare for Alaska?

I know it's hard to answer, but I'm just wondering generally speaking for a "mass market" ship.

Looking to go in May on a 7 nite northbound and was wondering whether to pull the trigger on a balcony cabin for $1150pp (2 adults) or wait and see if fares drop.

Thx for any insights.

Enjoy-la!
Oct 1st, 2010, 03:03 PM

One way is usually cheaper than round trip (inside passage)
I have seen cheaper, especially for shoulder season (May & September).

Even for mass market ships, there are pricing discrepencies.
Some are more willing to discount than others.

In another word, you have to compare apples to apples. I have seen May one way for as little at $700 for a low end balcony. But then you have look at the date, the itinary, the ship etc.

If you book at $1150 now, and should the price drop, you should be able to get your TA or cruisee line to drop it or give you credit for the difference, or get upgraded to a higher category.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Eschew - thx for your reply.

I guess the good fare I was looking at wasn't so good after all: $700 - I would definitely bite on that...LOL! I was comparing btwn lines and it was one of the lower priced ones. I guess I should book it (shows only 6 cabins available at that price point) since it is in May but late enough that Denali bus tours will be running by then unlike early May. We plan to spend a week doing a land tour afterwards.

There are only port side balconies available at that price point - I've heard differing opinions on "only get starboard" for a northbound and "it doesn't matter". What's your opinion?

Enjoy-la!
Oct 4th, 2010, 08:14 PM

Suggest you check Princess. I'm hearing they're their Alaska sailings are not selling well for next year...
Oct 5th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Thx triathlete

On the weekend I booked a starboard balcony on Celebrity - I've heard Celebrity is a step up from Princess and it was $200 cheaper + $75 extra in OBC. Started putting together the post-cruise land tour portion and also thought Seward worked logistically better than Princess's Whittier. However, it's fully refundable up to 90 days before sailing so I'll monitor Princess - good to know that their prices may drop. Have only cruised Princess & DCL before so looking fwd to trying a new line but also would be very happy to sail on Princess again and will switch if rates drop enough.

Enjoy-la!