Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page > What to wear onboard Zaandam from Santiago to Buenos Aires.

What to wear onboard Zaandam from Santiago to Buenos Aires.

Oct 28th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

What to wear onboard Zaandam from Santiago to Buenos Aires.

We are leaving Nov. 22 on Zaandam for 14 days around Cape Horn, from Santiago to Buenos Aires. Is it cold on the ship or warm? Are people wearing summer clothing or mid-season?
What about walking or sitting outdoors on the ship? Windbreaker or just a sweater?
Thanks for any info.

I know it gets colder around the Cape, but what about coming down the Chilean coast?
Oct 28th, 2016, 04:03 PM

I did that cruise but not on Zaandam, in March into April. There are times when outside you'll want a jacket (more or less windproof), hat, gloves, scarf for a good part of the trip.Other times I wore a warm vest over a wool sweater and then I would have to go back inside to warm up or go for the parka. It wasn't really warm till we got close to Montevideo and Buenos Aires. Indoors is kept at a comfortable temperature..you can wear normal clothing. It isn't summer, really. I would check on what you'll need for Buenos Aires. Not sure how warm it is in November but that will be the mildest climate.

If you have a chance to spend extra days before and after..Valparaiso over Santiago and Iguassu Falls over Buenos Aires (I didn't think BA was very interesting, spent too many nights there (should have cut it off at two). We had tango shows as part of our onboard entertainment as well as good steaks sourced from Uruguay.. there was little value added in BA..not especially attractive as a city. I preferred the Art Deco architecture in Montevideo and we had lunch at the Mercado del Puerto which also fulfilled any further need for local steak.
Oct 29th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for that good info. We are planning to stay in Valparaiso for two nights and going to Iguassu Falls. Guess we made the right decision. Also doing an Easter Island trip beforehand. We will try the Mercado....sounds good. I think wandering around Montevideo by ourselves will be fine, not a tour, right?
Oct 31st, 2016, 08:38 PM

HI, I've been on the Zaandam to Alaska, and one little suggestion is to take a little gift wrap bow, one of those frilly colorful type you put on childrens packages, and take along to put on your door. The halls are long and it is nice to be able to spot ones door easily. Sue
Oct 31st, 2016, 11:54 PM

Don't really think you need a tour to just walk around the old city a bit and go eat steak.. Especially if you don't like van tours and want to save on on excursion costs I think this is a place to do that. .there is a pedestrian street almost directly across from where you exit the port..and you can visit the two squares (Constitution and Independence I think they are) Maybe thee tourism office just outside the port had maps. The Mercado is very close..huge portions.. There are souvenir places inside the Mercado and some on the pedestrian street also We had a good cruise lecturer who briefed us on some of the history and sites. I imagine there are also people on cruise critic who can advise you on whether it's worth taking a group or private tour. It seems there are always a few people who like to repeat this cruise. I wouldn't mind doing it again if I could find another good deal like I did this spring. I also wouldn't worry about the few posters who seem to like to bash Montevideo.. On cruise days the streets will be full of passengers and I imagine tourist police. We found the people friendly and more open than in Buenos Aires..perhaps due to their better economy. Or maybe less anti-US feeling?

Search this Thread