what to wear--Alaskan cruise

Jun 13th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

what to wear--Alaskan cruise

We are going on an Alaskan cruise in August. I know this may be seem obvious--but could you give some suggestions of what type of clothes to take--there are no formal nights--start in Seward and end in Vancouver--we bought a lightweight waterproof slack and jacket set--how cold is it during the day--and does it rain a lot along the Inner Passage way? thanks jan
Jun 13th, 2004, 01:11 PM

It could be very cold and rainy or you may luck out and get a hot sunny day. Hard to predict. Just make sure you bring clothes that can be layered. The water proof slack and jacket set will be nice if you do a day excursion such as fishing and it's rainy out. Bring a small backpack so you have somewhere to store your layers with weather change. Wool gloves and hat come in handy and store easy when traveling. Every port will have plenty of gift shops so you won't be hurting if you need to buy extra sweatshirts along the way, they also make great souvineers from your trip. Don't forget to pack at least one pair of shorts just in case you do get a hot, clear day. Just make sure you are thinking of layers, layers, layers, when you pack your suitcase. - Mariann
Jun 17th, 2004, 06:17 AM

You need a wide variety of layers. tshirts, sweatshirt, lined lightweight jacket, rain gear, 2 pair of walking shoes, knit hat/gloves, I like lined and unlined wind pants- I never take jeans- too bulky, tend to get and stay damp and take forever to dry. I also always do my laundry off ship in Skagway- can be done in a little over an hour - enough for a Red Onion stop. Greatly cuts down on bulk.
Jun 17th, 2004, 10:58 AM
esd

We were on the Sky for the last possible Alaskan cruise week last September. Granted, it was just the inside passage so I'm not sure what the weather will be on the northern most point on the one-way sailings. I do know we needed nothing but the windbreakers we brought. The weather that week was fabulous..just a brief mist-type rain on 2 days and the rest of the time it was sunny and very pleasant.

So I would say windbreakers, and an umbrella and maybe a headband to cover your ears in case you take a tour to somewhere that takes you to a higher elevation...that was all we ever needed
or used.

Have fun!!
Jun 18th, 2004, 05:19 AM

Last end of season was exceptional with excellent weather, BUT not typical and far from the norm. Hope for a repeat however.
Jun 18th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Uma

I tend to get cold, so we brought along
rain/wind resistant jackets with hoods and rain pants(which we never needed),
hats and gloves, sweatshirts and sweaters, even a long underwear top for me. While passengers in the rear
of the ship were lounging around the pool in shorts, those of us on the bow
at Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm needed
all the layers we were bundled up in against the biting cold winds.
We were there a few years ago the first
week in August and every day was sunny and warm with no rain the entire week, but weather can vary. Bring shorts and
tees, too. As everyone else has stated,
layers, layers, layers is the way to go.

Jun 20th, 2004, 02:02 PM

Everyone is absolutely right about the layers. I took cotton turtlenecks, a polar fleece vest, polar fleece jacket, and a waterproof jacket. And a hat and gloves. I was ready for anything, and it was easy to adapt by removing or adding layers. The polar fleece vest was probably the best thing I took----so adaptable. And I was happy to have my jeans!
Jun 24th, 2004, 11:11 PM

I second that on the polar fleece vest. Once you have one you wondered how you ever lived without it.
Jun 28th, 2004, 07:16 PM

My sister just came back from this cruise. They had the LAYERS that everyone is talking about. She wore mostly capri's and layered tops under a thick polar fleece top. She got quite a nice tan out there. They did bring a lightweight jkt too. They took the helicopter ride onto the glacier and said it was awesome. She said she is sorry that she didnt bring a water bottle to fill since the water from the glacier was awesome.
Jun 28th, 2004, 08:54 PM

Jeans may not be the best option. They absorb water and take too long to dry.