what to do in Valetta or Barcelona

Old May 27th, 2001, 12:25 PM
frank keller

what to do in Valetta or Barcelona

We will be on the Grandeur's 6/23rd sailing. I have all of my excursions figured out except for Valetta and Barcelona. I do not want to take the ship's tours as they are too overpriced. Any recommendations will be appreciated. Many thanks, Frank

Old May 27th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Rel

Hi Frank:

In Barcelona you can just walk up La Ramblas which is the main "people watching" street. It runs from the port area where the Christopher Columbus is. Barcelona has a "hop on hop off" double decker tourist bus which goes to all the tourist areas. It is great value and my recommendation for a day in Barcelona - you can catch it at the top of La Ramblas or down near the port area.

In Valetta, we just walked up to the main part of the old town - you could even hire a car for half a day and drive around - or grab a cabbie who speaks English.

Old May 27th, 2001, 06:55 PM
frank keller

Rel, thanks for your info. There will be nine of us and with that amount of people, logistics is always a concern. Sounds like Barcelona should be easy enough for us to do on our own. Many thanks, Frank

Old May 28th, 2001, 07:10 AM
jm1029

I agree that the double decker bus is the best, least expensive and most convenient way to tour Barcelona. There are two different routes and you can mix them to fit what you want to see. I would definitely go to the Sagrada Familia (Holy Family) Church which is amazing. It is also well worth the trek to the top if you can.

Also do not miss Gaudi's apartment building on Paseo de Gracia Avenue. Again make sure yu go to the top to see the artistic work the roof.

Old May 28th, 2001, 08:48 AM
Ilene H.

Las Ramblas is an interesting area to walk on for a while, but the highlight of Barcelona is viewing anything by Gaudi - La Sagrada Familia (the unfinished church), the Park Guell (a must) and various buildings in the city designed by Gaudi. We did take a 1/2 day shore excusion offered by the cruise line - it was the Gaudi tour. It covered all the Gaudi highlights. You might be able to get a cab to take you to the various places, but we opted for the security of the ship's shore excursion. In any event, don't miss Gaudi!

Old May 28th, 2001, 09:30 PM
Rel

I don't think you need to take the ship cruise for security. The bus is great and goes to La Sagrada Familia and the Guell Park, plus all the top Barcelona attractions. Just make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to return because the traffic can be heavy.