Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

What to do in Nassau besides Atlantis and straw market?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 09:16 AM
snorkelman

I will be on a cruise to Nassau next week, and besides the Atlantis, I am not sure what to do. Since I live in Florida, the water is too cold for me in December, so i will not be looking to do anything that involves getting in the water. Also, after a few hours gambling at teh Atlantis, I do not know what else to do. The last time that I was in Nassau (1 1/2 years ago) we walked around the little downtown area and saw the straw market. <BR><BR>This time I have 23 hours on Nassau, so I hope to find something to do. Any advice? <BR><BR>Dave<BR><BR>[email protected]

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 09:19 AM
jim

Nothing - Nassau is a tourist trap. i suggest buying some conch at one of the vendors in the straw market and getting back on the ship. The prices on booze and jewelry are the most expensive of the Craibbean and probably more expensive than what you can get at home or on the ship.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 05:31 PM
Pete

Try going to Westwind club (#1) on Cable beach and check it out. quiet resort with bar overlooking ocean - very friendly staff - relaxing afternoon with friendly people - you'll be welcome

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 08:56 PM
Paul Therault

Well ... you can swim at any hotel's beach free of charge. You can take a trip to Athol Island and snorkel. You can play golf. You can take the ship's sightseeing tour. You can do the Dolphin Encounter. You can take the Seaworld Explorer which will put you 5 feet below the water and watch the fish being fed. You can visit Ardastra Gardens where the marching pink flamingos live. You can take one of the party boats to a beach (ship's tour). You can walk around town and shop for souveniers.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 08:00 PM
Ken

According to a cruise staff member on our cruise last week, the Straw Market burned down, so that is something not to worry about anymore.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 08:21 PM
Paul Therault

The old straw market is a parking lot. The new straw market is under a nearby tent.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 11:19 AM
Michele

Is there any snorkeling in Nassua easuly accessible by cruise ship visitors?<BR><BR>Just how cold is the water?!<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Michele<BR>

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 11:27 AM
jimbo

Yes, in December the water is too cold for Floridians to enter. Us Floridians do not enter the water until it is above 80 degrees. So, some of the above postings ignored snorkelman's main concern.<BR><BR>Snorkelman, yes, you will have to avoid Cable beach and all of the water sports mentioned above, and opt for some of the history/cultural stuff on the main part of Nassau such as the fort stuff.