What should we do at these ports?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I are going on RCI's Adventure of the Seas leaving on 4/27 from San Juan and stopping at St. Thomas, St. Marten, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados. We would like to go off on our own rather than do the ship excursions. Any advice on where to go, how to get there and things to know while doing this, would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 05:08 AM

Try cruisecritics.com and go to their discussion board on "ports of call". It was extremely helpful when we planned out port days for Belize and Roatan.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 05:18 AM

I look at the tours arranged by the ship,pick which parts of them sound interesting, and then go and do them on your own.<BR><BR>After you read all the boards and figure out how much time in port you have-don't miss the ship.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 11:15 AM

cruisecritic and cruisaddicts and cruisemates dot com all have great forums that can help you.<BR><BR>before you post,make sure to describe what you are interested in (shopping, snorkeling, horseback-riding, partying on a drunkboat). i am serious because these are all options on many cruises and if you explain what you want to do, people will tell you where it is best to do it. For example, the best quality jewelry (and best prices for great quality jewelry) and best booze prices that I have found have been on St. Thomas, with St. Maartin coming in second place.<BR><BR>For San Juan, i suggest visiting the rain forest, but many ships don't accommodate this because they are onlky in that port in the evening. I can't remember about the Adventure of the Seas.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 12:28 PM

This is highly dependent on what interests you and your friend. St. Lucia has an island tour we took. Stluciajungletours.com They were great, you get a real flavor for the tropical island that it is. St. Marten is great for jewelry shopping right at the dock. St. Thomas is great for snorkeling in St. John if you like to snorkel. Barbados has a wonderful beaches, and can be decided upon when you get off the ship. There are many tours offered in the terminal. We went to Cranes Beach on our own. Antigua we did Dickensons Bay, and rented a wave runner. It all depends on what interests you. My only complaint is there just wasn't enough time for all I would have liked to see. Have fun.