Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   What should a guy pack for a cruise? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/what-should-a-guy-pack-for-a-cruise-950690/)

MitjaGoole Sep 16th, 2012 06:27 PM

What should a guy pack for a cruise?

Hello Friends,

I am turning 17 soon and when I do My family and I are going on a cruise. Plane lands in amsterdam we take a train to spain board the cruise and them it does france italy greece croatia and Turkey. I have no Idea what to bring please help if it helps and any advise would be great its my first time.

Thanks in Advance
MitjaGoole

abram Sep 16th, 2012 07:19 PM

It depends on the cruiseline and the season.

DH takes a tuxedo when there are formal nights, but just nice pants and shirts for evenings on a more casual line.

During the day, he wears jeans if it's cool, shorts if it's hot, short sleeve collared knit shirts.

RoamsAround Sep 17th, 2012 05:39 AM

Also, once you book your trip most cruise lines will send you a packet of material from with helpful hints on what to pack.

A lot of people tend to overpack and bring way too many clothes and "things". Try to pack light, after all you are going away for only a week or two. Follow the old adage "Take less clothes, bring more money".

Rastaguytoday Sep 17th, 2012 07:47 AM

You or your parents should take an alarm clock. It's almost a must have on a cruise.

Reme Sep 17th, 2012 11:01 AM

Be your age. You do not need a tux!! On any cruise. If you have a dark blazer, take it and wear it on formal nights if you want. The dress code is crumbling. Do not however take the grunge look to the dining room on a formal night. I would say that fairly nice casual clothes are good on shore. Too sloppy and you may be targeted as a rich American with a pocket to pick.

andrews98682 Sep 17th, 2012 01:36 PM

You might want a jacket and tie for formal nights, and some decent shirts and pants to wear at night the rest of the time. Otherwise, it's casual on most lines.

CDNTraveler Sep 17th, 2012 06:38 PM

Backpack for day trips, refillable water bottle.

CDNTraveler Sep 17th, 2012 06:39 PM

Hope you have a great trip! Enjoy the time with your family.

dhutch2 Sep 21st, 2012 12:12 PM

I agree with the backpack, we went on a cruise this month and for the excursions it was nice to throw our towels in there (which were from the cruise ship) along with sunblock, water, an extra pair of shoes (like flipflops) or shirt. You'll have such a fun time

Beachnut11 Sep 27th, 2012 10:29 PM

Small Power bar if you have a number of electrical items to plug in. Definitely an alarm clock - cabins don't have one.

janisj Sep 28th, 2012 07:37 AM

You are getting lots of good advice . . . But I have a comment about your travel plans. Amsterdam to Barcelona is a VERY long train journey. Flying would be cheaper and MUCH faster/more convenient.

Are the train tix already booked?

Eschew Sep 28th, 2012 09:18 AM

Amsterdam to Barcelona is a long train ride, but you also get to see a lot of the "cities" and countryside. I am not sure if flying would be much cheaper. A EuroPass 4 countries 5 day pass is under $350.

janisj Sep 28th, 2012 10:09 AM

"<i>A EuroPass 4 countries 5 day pass is under $350.</i>"

The typical airfare would be half that. Buying individual train tickets would also be cheaper BTW. A pass makes no sense if one is only taking a single train journey - or even 3 or 4 train trips, most of the time.

Eschew Sep 30th, 2012 05:25 AM

Discountyed flight from Amsterdam to Barcelona is about 60 Euros ($100) one way on low cost carrier. The point I made is train travel will allow for more sight seweing. Unless you are pressed for time, train is still the way to go.

janisj Sep 30th, 2012 06:19 AM

"<i>The point I made is train travel will allow for more sight seweing. Unless you are pressed for time, train is still the way to go</i>"

I take trains in Europe all the time. But to get from Amsterdam to Barcelona it doesn't make sense <i>unless</i> one wants to stop over in several cities enroute. But just to get from point A to point B? - not in this case. Plus much of the route isn't very scenic.

MitjaGoole: Transport really wasn't the point of your thread - but unless your family is taking several days for the trip, a train really isn't the best way.

(But we may have lost the OP - he hasn't returned to Fodors since posting this)

justwishin Sep 30th, 2012 10:28 AM

don't take a huge trunk, it will become burdensome, and trustme, you will not use much of it. So, a swim suit or two, sneakers and nice shoes, some tee's and a couple dress shirts,definitely long pants for dinner and evening do's, a jacket for warmth and one to dress up in...of course the medicines you need, toilteries, sun glasses, camera, money, and perhaps a small pair of benoculars, if you have them. Also maybe a small journal to record stuff in. Pack light as you can. Enjoy.

Eschew Sep 30th, 2012 08:02 PM

janish, since it is a family trip and as the OP has stated: "Plane lands in amsterdam we take a train to spain board the cruise", the discussion regarding plane or train is moot. The family decides to take the train, and one can only assume that there might be other plans pre-cruise, amybe visiting family, stop at a certain city to vist certain palce etc.

The poriginal quetsion was what to pack adn justwishin and others has pretty well answered it.