What ships sail from Tampa?

Nov 29th, 1999, 01:29 PM
Jean

What ships sail from Tampa?

Does anyone know which ships sail from Tampa? I think the Tropicale does, but I keep hearing bad things about the Tropicale. Do you know of any other ships that sail from Tampa? Do you know of any pro/cons of sailing from Tampa vs. Miami or Ft. Lauderdale? Because we live in northwest Florida, we can reach Tampa easier, but if you know something that may be of interest to us, please tell.

Dec 1st, 1999, 07:40 AM
steve

Jean. The carnival ship Sensation also travels from Tampa. My agent just took us on a tour of it, we live 80 miles away in Ocala. we cruised on the Ecstacy and Fantacy as well but i really liked the decore of the sensation. Holland America's Nieuw Amesterdam does a 14 day cruise from tampa. We were just on the Tropical and saw no more problems. It's a nice smaller cruise ship. May i also suggest the ships that leave from Port Canaveral on the other side of Fl. you have the Fantasy 3 or 4 days to bahamas. Premiers big red boat(great inexspensive Ship been on it 4 times myself, our favorite ship for short trips) 3/4 days to bahamas, and The premier's Rembrandt(Previous Hal's Rotterdam) goes 7 days to bahamas and san juan starting this spring. And of course Disney wonder and Magic. later this coming year the Souverign of the seas will also be moved from miami to port canaveral.

Dec 29th, 1999, 11:21 PM
Paul Therault

Dear Jean,

I am a travel agent and have cruised 55 times.

I advise my customers to think twice about sailing the Tropical, it is getting too old. Carnival should sell it.

You MUST sail on the Sensation. My opinion.....it is the best Carnival ship.....hands down.

Paul

Dec 31st, 1999, 10:34 AM
JanGail

I agree with Paul-- the Sensation
is a fine ship--- decent size cabin,
plenty to do, good food, good
entertainment, nice personnel.
Only negative that I can remember
was that disembarkation was a bit
disorganized and tedious.
You will like this ship!
JanGail

Oct 14th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Has anyone been on Holland America/Veendam out of Tampa? We're planning on Dec. 9, 2007. Are there better cruises out of Tampa? Any suggestions? Open for anything or any thoughts!
Oct 14th, 2007, 11:25 AM

wow I see this thread is from 1999! LOL! The Sensation is a smoky tub. Avoid short Carnival cruises.
Oct 14th, 2007, 11:50 AM

Missy3:
I have done the Veendam out of Tampa and will do it again this Nov. for 14 days. I eally enjoy the longer cruises.

Tampa is a great port to sail from. It isn't as crowded and they seem to be very organized.

There are many motels between the airport and the port to choose from.

The taxi service is fine and they also have a BayShuttle. Some of the hotels also have their own shuttle services.

HAL Veendam is a smaller ship, but I like my ships small. Very good food, excellent, friendly staff and crew. Be careful: if you are looking for glitz, neon lights etc. you won't be happy with Veendam. In fact, it gets very quiet after midnight. It is an older clientele with very few children on board that time of year. All of those reasons make it an enjoyable ship to me.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!
Oct 14th, 2007, 01:08 PM

Thanks, cruiser......sounds like that may be the one for us too.... Dec.9.
Oct 14th, 2007, 05:26 PM
LN

Sailed on the Veendam out of Tampa this past year. Ship is a nice size and the crew is great! Also the food is not too bad either.

Thoroughly enjoyed sailing out of Tampa - just returned from an Alaskan cruise that left from Vancouver and what a mess that was getting aboard as well as getting a taxi when we got off the ship!! Give me Tampa any day.
Oct 14th, 2007, 06:27 PM

Has anyone been on RCCL Grandeur of the Seas or Carnival Legend out of Tampa? Better or worse than Holland America Veendam??
Oct 17th, 2007, 07:58 PM

Sailing on the Legend 2/24/08 out of Tampa. All reports are that the Legend is a beautiful ship and Tampa is a great port to sail from.
dave