Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   What MSN.com says not to eat on a cruise (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/what-msn-com-says-not-to-eat-on-a-cruise-1069686/)

jan47ete Aug 24th, 2015 11:50 AM

What MSN.com says not to eat on a cruise

According to an article I read today on MSN.com you should not eat
beef
condiments
heavy sauces or dressing
milk
raw veggie and fruits
shellfish
sugary alcoholic drinks.

Someone tell me what's left?

Eschew Aug 24th, 2015 08:14 PM

They forgot to mention "don't drink the water". ;)

Where did you find that on msn?

mlgb Aug 25th, 2015 12:53 PM

I have seen this type of list on other sites. Some of the listed foods are to avoid food poisoning if held at unsafe temps, and some are to avoid excess calories.

But I ignore this type of "click bait" list anyways.

On our RCI cruise we saw the cooks checking temps on carvery items regularly.

They still came down with a Norovirus outbreak. Suspicion was pointed toward Guatemala as the source but I never looked further into whether CDC revealed anything.

jacketwatch Aug 25th, 2015 01:44 PM

I too would like the link to the article if you can find it.

There was noro on the Connie in 2011 and I came down with it. It was on the ship for the cruise before ours and the one after as well. I thought X did a great job of being cautious but things happen sometimes. Our outbreak was traced to Jerusalem and after what I saw there with so many people touching the many religious sites like the tomb of Jesus, the nativity star and the sepulchre its no wonder. Some even were kissing them.

My son got a little queasy from food we had in Antigua, Guatemala but I think it was the cheese in his sandwich. He was ok in day or two as was I but the noro is more severe though short lived.

Avoid H2O. Drink beer!

1965 Aug 26th, 2015 07:42 AM

Except for the alcoholic drinks, we consume all those "risky" foods when cruising. We've taken 15 cruises with 6 different cruise lines, and haven't gotten sick yet. Not saying it won't happen, but so far so good.

mlgb Aug 26th, 2015 08:31 AM

I found what appears to be the same list although on another website, with the "why".

http://www.thedailymeal.com/healthy-...s-avoid-cruise

Eschew Aug 27th, 2015 10:15 AM

migb, I found the link on msn after a search, it was the dailymeal one, which is what you have posted.

As to all the reasons why, the same will happen in a hospital, restaurant, a school cafeteria, your own home, if you do not follow good sanitation and good hygiene.

Don't eat beef except well done (sorry, I like mine blue rare), don't eat not fully cooked chicken (sorry, I like mine just cooked with hint of red), don;t drink sugary drinks like pop or alcohol (sorry, I got a sweet tooth), avoid sauces and high calorie items (Sorry, love the taste). if you go by that advise in the article, you might as well forget about dining out anywhere.

The so call advise applies to every day life and not only on a cruise. Putting a "don't do it on a cruise" tag to it amount to sensationalism and not doing any favor to the cruise industry.

The same article could have a tag of "don't do it in a restaurant" on it.

And that brought into mind a funny story I heard years ago, and it may or may not be appropriate here.

Some one was told by a doctor he should stop smoking as smoking will kill him as it will cause lung caner. He was also told to stop drinking as it will cause kidney problem. He should also lay off bacon as it will cause stomach caner. last but not least, he should stop all sexual activities as well as it causes deadly diseases.

To make a long story short, he told the doctor this: You might as well shoot and kill me now. I can't smoke, I can't drink, no bacon and no sex. What else is there is left to live for?!

jacketwatch Aug 27th, 2015 11:08 AM

Quinoa and brussel sprouts I suppose . :D.

jan47ete Aug 27th, 2015 12:10 PM

Here's the link:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrin...ise/ss-BBlTcay

jacketwatch Aug 27th, 2015 06:26 PM

Actually noro virus was first discovered in an elementary school in Norwalk, CN.

annw Sep 2nd, 2015 11:06 PM

Just back from HAL Alaska cruise; hand sanitizer everywhere and signs to ue a tissue to open bathroom door when leaving and discard tissue etc. etc.
They were really on top of things, we thought.

DH (a doc who knows a bit about sanitation and safe eating) still got a 24 hour food borne illness (vomiting all night), probably from a lobster bisque or salmon, the two foods we didn't share.

mlgb Sep 6th, 2015 12:56 PM

I was on Zaandam, just got off, very few sanitizer stations and no enforcement whatsoever. So you have the usual cross contamination risks as there are self service drink, salad,bread, dessert stations, plus handrails, doorknobs that were infrequently cleaned, etc. I have a touch of something, not Noro though,but it doesn't surprise that HAL doesn't have a great record.

Could it just as easily been salad ingredients, I suspect that green mix was made up in mass quantities and always had some slimy ones.

There were also a ton of folk with coughs and no signs up about how to stop those. So I came down with that in Juneau. But could have been the sick guy in my row on the flight up.

On RCI when they realized there was an outbreak you couldn't get into the DR without a squirt of sanitizer from a crewmember stationed by the door.

I havent changed my assessment of cruise ships as floating petri dishes.

annw Sep 6th, 2015 01:48 PM

We were on the Westerdam; it is true there was no actual "enforcement" on the ship but much encouragement, everywhere.

kwren Sep 7th, 2015 02:25 AM

We were on the Cunard QM2 a few weeks ago and they had staff stationed with hand sanitizer at every door leading into the restaurant, buffet and afternoon tea. (I do wish they wouldn't distribute enough to sanitize your entire body each time though!) A step further, on the game tables were signs stating that no board games would be available for health reasons. At the Captain"s cocktail party, there was a sign starting that there would be no handshaking allowed when meeting the Captain.

I like to use the stairs whenever possible and try to avoid using the handrail, although I have seen staff wiping them down. Do you ever wonder if they sanitize the elevator buttons? I didn't want to touch them!

mlgb Sep 7th, 2015 03:34 AM

Use the knuckle not fingertip on the elevator buttons.

Maybe they had a few cases onboard, kwren.

Zaandam has a huge lending library so there's another giant batch o germs!

On RCI they closed the meagre library and any stores or displays where passengers had touched the merchandise.
Also used a special cleaning solution that partially dissolved the varnish on handrails. I knew something extra was up when they started sanitizing the sanitizer stations.

Dayenu Sep 9th, 2015 12:10 PM

Our recent cruise was Maasdam in E. Canada. I was shocked that they had hand sanitizers, but nobody cared if you used the liquid, or just walked in with dirty hands.

On the other hand, they didn't allow people get large plates and load them with entrees in the buffet, you make your own salad on a small plate, but the entrée will be served to you, as much as you want.

They also didn't allow to fill bottles with water, telling everyone to get water in glasses and pour into bottles.

Next Tuesday we are off to Mexico on Grand Princess.

bettyk Sep 9th, 2015 09:07 PM

I have never gotten sick during any of our trips to Europe which I think is miraculous considering how many meals we have eaten at numerous different places.

I cannot, however, say the same thing about eating restaurant meals here in the USA.