Help with Greek Cruise and Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking about taking a Greek cruise to celebrate an important anniversary. What have been your favorite ports and cruise lines in this part of the world? We took a Silverseas Med Cruise and loved it so wouldn't mind using them again. Would love to hear your experiences on other similar lines.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 03:04 PM

We took a Costa cruise in Nov 2008 and I don't think I would go with them again. It could have been that we were the last cruise at the end of the season, but the food was horrible. We mostly did the buffet stuff and they never had the specials that they advertised, etc. Other than food, we had a great time. We left out of Venice, then our ports were, Bari, Italy, Olympia Greece, Santorini and Mykonos Greece, Lindos/Rhodes Greece and Dubrovnik Croatia. I would highly recommend Santorini and Mykonos being 2 of your stops. We unfortunately hit both places in one day, so we didn't get a whole lot of time to see either place. But Santorini is sooo beautiful...just like you see in pictures..white buildings, blue dome roofs and the blue Aegeon Sea. We only got to see Mykonos at dark, but they have great shopping. Lindos/Rhodes were my next favorite. Very different from Santorini but still very cool. Then a bonus of the this particular cruise was leaving from Venice. Venice is awesome. I'm so jealous that you are going to be heading to Greece. Enjoy.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 09:36 AM

Try going to www.cruisecritic.com and pose this question on the boards for Oceania, Regent and Crystal cruise lines. AFAIK thses are the competetive luxury cruise lines. Azamara, a higher end extension of RCI is another possibility too. Good luck and happy anniversary. Larry
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help, hadn't heard of cruisecritic so will query there. Thanks too for the info on ports, Santorini and Mykonos are two we want to make for sure. Thanks again for your help!
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 02:29 AM

You're welcome. I think you will find cruise critic to be alot more active. Have a great trip. Larry
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 11:20 AM

As a side note Cruisecritic is mentioned here on Fodors often as a resource. No problmes. Once On CC I suggested a poster try Fodors and this was deleted. When I asked why I was told posting other websites was "disruptive". . Yeah, like that one reference to another webiste could lead to their undoing.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 06:52 PM

We did our first cruise on the Celebrity Solstice last month -- this was a 10-night cruise which left from Rome and made 4 stops in Geece as well as 3 other ports. We had a fabulous time and highly recommend this cruise.