Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   What are the most unusual items you pack for a cruise? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/what-are-the-most-unusual-items-you-pack-for-a-cruise-971832/)

Eschew Mar 24th, 2013 09:31 PM

What are the most unusual items you pack for a cruise?

Everyeone have special items that they pack for a holiday. What is the special item (or quirky) item that you pack for a cruise?

I am not talking about what you normally would pack or need to pack. I am talking about things that you should be able to do without but you bring it anyway as you deemed it being essential or important.

DW packs a small thermos for hot water in the cabin. We have never considered asking for hot water from room service. They should have themos but I would imagine they are usually used to fill coffee so it would have residual smell and taste.

Not to mention any names, I knew someone who admitted to packing a french press to make their own quality coffee, assuming they must also pack the raw coffee.

What's yours?

Rhea58 Mar 25th, 2013 01:51 AM

Highlighter so I see what activities I wish to participate in; different sizes of ziplock bags, Lysol wipes.
Should have packed Starbucks coffee for last cruise since I had coffemaker in cabin. Not unusual items but essential for my comfort.

hpeabody Mar 25th, 2013 07:36 AM

My special item is my portable inmotion player/speakers for my iPod touch.

1965 Mar 25th, 2013 02:16 PM

A small cross stitch quilt for my granddaughter that I've been working on for years. I've worked on it on 5 continents, numerous countries, cruises, motorcoach tours. Should have finished it long ago, but I find I hardly work on it at home, mostly work when traveling. Hopefully some day she'll appreciate it, maybe even treasure it.
rhea58-Was your coffeemaker furnished by the cruiseline? Would love that.

traveller69 Mar 25th, 2013 02:21 PM

A night light. Been in too many cabins that a pitch black and getting up in the night can be hazardous to your health!!!
Ps I think I know who packed the french press.

docdan Mar 25th, 2013 02:33 PM

A plastic deformable water bag, about 500cc or so, that can be hidden in one's clothes for returning to the ship with "necessary" and affordable fluid replenishment. Agree that zip lock bags and a night light are seriously good ideas.

Oh, word of explanation, I say 500 cc because if I purchase and CONSUME a whole liter, I can't find my way back to the ship. So I consume half, save half for later.

Eschew Mar 25th, 2013 05:32 PM

1965, that's a truly unusual item. Hope your grand daughter appreciates it.

Traveller69, anyone who's been around here for a while would know who packed the french press. I used to pack an night light until I left it in the cabin a couple years back. It was one of those emergency one where it came on during a power failure and also has a motion detector and came on when you are near. It also doubles as a flash light. Never got around to buy another one after I left it behind.

DocDan, that's what metal water bottles are for ... I always carry 2 water bottles (full of water) when I leave the ship and came back with 2 water bottles full of liquid. No one ever bothered to ask or check what's in them. I put it right through the x-ray machine with my hat and back pack.

Iowa_Redhead Mar 25th, 2013 05:51 PM

Duct tape! I think there's been a legitimate use for it on almost every trip I've ever been on. I cut off a chunk of cardboard about the size of a credit card and wrap duct tape (generally fun prints or bright colors) around that. It's very compact and easily fits in a daybag/purse but still gives me enough to be useful.

Percy Mar 26th, 2013 10:33 AM

My wife :)

traveller69 Mar 26th, 2013 01:45 PM

HaHa Percy - didn't see a wife in your photos!

jacketwatch Mar 26th, 2013 04:16 PM

:D :D

Eschew Mar 26th, 2013 06:00 PM

Percy, I presume you didn't stuff DW in a suitcase to save on airfare :D. The original post ask for the most unsual item "pack" for a cruise! And T69, you are right, I have never seen pictures of Percy with his wife.

Iowa_Redhead, I could have used duct tape quite a few times on a trip. Even bought them once at a store as I was desperate.

I read in Fodors long time ago that someone mentioned packing a hanging shoe rack that can be folded into a very small size. Haven't seen one for a long time.

ParrotMom Mar 27th, 2013 04:56 AM

Eschew, when we first started cruising about 20 years ago one hint that I picked up from a cruiser (I think Calgon) was the hanging shoe bag. The inexpensive material (not plastic) ones that can be found at Walmarts in the closet section and are under or were $10.00. It is the #1 hint that I've passed on over these years and see it now as a "must have" on packing lists for cruisers. It holds flip flops, shampoos, lotions, toiletries, tiny flashlights, dry packets of soap, flip flops and all those other little items. The material ones fold easily and take very, very little room in our suitcases. My hint that I've never really seen is that I bring along half a dozen spring loaded wooden cloths pins. When I need to dry something I use them on the back of balcony chairs The other item which I'm sure you all have taken are two large mesh bags.. one bag is dedicated to dark dirty clothes and he other to white, so that when you arrive home the bags can be left by the washing machine. These "dirty" bags are kept in one suitcase and the second holds clothes still clean. The bonus to this system is that if we have bought any breakables or liquor they are placed carefully in a dirty bag and are well protected.

Percy Mar 27th, 2013 08:17 AM

traveller69

No ! because she was packed away !!!

Reme Mar 27th, 2013 08:44 AM

How about a small flashlight - the one AAA cell type. Subs for a night light and you have light the whole way.

Eschew Mar 27th, 2013 07:15 PM

ParrotMom, wooden cloths pins is a great idea, you can use it on the clothes line in the shower as well. I use bull-dog clips to keep my magazines and sudoku books together (and also double as bookmark), I have enlist those same bull-dog clips to secure wet clothes etc on the balcony chair. I would typically slip the clothes onto the seat back of the patio chair and then I clip the bottom together.

Reme, with the new LED tecnology, I carry a "pen light" that uses a very small button cell. It is a ballpoint pen with a small LED light at the other tip.

Shar Mar 28th, 2013 04:58 PM

what is a "bull dog clip"

Eschew Mar 29th, 2013 09:45 AM

Hard to describ but here is a picture of it I found on-line.
I call them bulldog clips but they are more commonly called "binder clips".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theenmoy/8057099587/

HappyTrvlr Mar 29th, 2013 10:30 AM

Small flashlight.

Eschew Mar 30th, 2013 03:37 PM

Staff and passenger interaction on a crusie ship? I thought it would be against company rules ... If I am wrong, then I would certainly think twice before booking on Carnival if they allow those kind of customer and staff interactions

Definietly don't want to have any of those good looking young ladies working on the cruise ship hitting up on me ... DW certainly wouldn't be amused! :))