What about the kids in Alaska

Old Jan 2nd, 2000, 03:23 PM
Julie

What about the kids in Alaska

We are considering taking our grandchildren, ages 12 and 14 on a Princess cruise to Alaska. Are we out of our minds? is there anything to do for them.

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 01:37 PM
Marie

I would contact your travel agent or even better, Princess cruises and find out exactly what they have in the way of actual kids programs on board. As far as the ports go, they seem to be at the age where there is a pretty good attention span and they will enjoy the natural scenery and wildlife very much. Depending on how spy the two of you are, there are a lot of fun excursions including kayaking and a bit of hiking offered by most cruise lines. If there is a wildlife cruise in Ketchikan or best of all in Sitka, I would recommend these. They are usually not too expensive also, whereas the fly tours get way up there. Check not only for the day activities offered for them, but the evening activities. Some lines have teen discos at night as well as activities that go until 2200 at least. If they are not the types that have to be glued to the TV for long periods of time, they should enjoy it a lot.

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 01:11 AM
Paul Therault

Hi Julie,
I am a Travel agent and I can assure you Princess has one of the best youth programs. The instructors are not a bunch of college kids. It is quite a learning experience. Also, your children are at the age where they will appreciate the glaciers and the wildlife.
Have a wonderful time. Paul

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 06:02 AM
John

We have taken kids on the Alaska cruise. (RCCL). This is the ideal cruise for kids. The scenery and ports are outstanding. The excursions are geared towards natural history, nature, thrill trips. The highlight is a helicopter trip to a glacier. There is whitewater rafting, kayaking, nature hikes. The day at the glacier,they have a naturalist aboard to explain things as you cruise (slowly) by the glaciers. The day we went we saw seals on the ice floes, eagles galore, and saw and heard the glacier "calving". It was truly outstanding.
Go for it.

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 07:34 PM
Denise

Don't worry! There are plenty of activities for your grandchildren. Princess offers an excellent kids program on their new ships. Plus, many of the shore excursions they offer are good for kids and offer lower prices for them as well!