Western Caribbean Ports of Call Questions

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 10:24 AM
SR
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Western Caribbean Ports of Call Questions

To celebrate my parents 50th wedding anniversary, our entire family will be sailing on the Freedom in April. We have a few questions:

1. Cozumel - Can anyone comment on Chankanaab Park. Some of the group wants to do the dolphin swim, but what is there to do there for those who don't?

2. Grand Cayman - We will probably spend the day at Seven Mile Beach. Any comments or suggestions ? As far as beach and water are concerned, are there areas of Seven Mile that are better than others?

3. Jamaica - Some are considering the Canopy Tours. My son (who will be 18) thinks he would prefer the ATV Adventure. I would prefer Doctors Cave Beach and Margariteville. Any comments on these three suggestions.

4. Labadee - Does everyone just head to the same beach area, or are there areas that are better than others?

5. We want to rent jet skis. Any suggestions on the best stop to do this?

ANY COMMENTS AND/OR SUGGESTIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED !
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 11:40 AM

1. Chankanaab offers a lot to do besides dolphin swim: sea lions show, snorkel, snuba, trampoline, minigolf, souvenirs. It has a nice jungle park and sandy beach. The water is very clean and you can see lots of fish swimming right next to you. One even bit me when I was feeding it! My last time there was in 2004 so something could change due to hurricanes but I heard it recovered. There was also a nice restaurant.
2. GC: I only know a beach strip across the Holiday Inn. It is only some 5 min. drive from port and admission is free but you need to pay for chairs. It was nice and clean.
3. Jamaica: haven't been to any of these but heard Doctors Cave is good. Our preference was all-inclusive Sunset Beach resort and last time we got a very nice island tour from taxi driver.I should still have his business card somewhere so can give it to you if you want.
4. Labadee: I noticed both times I was there, it got crowded close to the pier so just walk farther either to the left or to the right of center.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 12:11 PM
SR
Original Poster

Spurs
I would love to have the name and number of the taxi driver you had in Jamaica. Thanks !
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 12:30 PM

SR,
His name is "Lion" L. Steadman of Jamaica Auto & Limo Tours Ltd, cell (876) 1-377-9665, home (876) 971-8458.
Hi was driving a large van which was perfect for our party of 8.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 06:59 AM
SR
Original Poster

Thanks, spurs. I appreciate the info !
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 03:26 AM
SR
Original Poster

ttt
Can anyone else who has been to these ports give me their experiences or suggestions. Thanks.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 08:35 AM

Cozumel-
Carlos and Chalries and Senior Frogs...lol (probably not a good place for older people)
G.C.- Hubby and I walked to 7 mile beach,wish'd we'd taken a cab...loved it...
Jamaica-we Will stay on the ship next time.Run down and dirty (my opinion)
Labadee- Agree with the previous poster...stay to the left
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 02:41 PM

Mrsd2fan,
Can you tell me more about 7 mile beach? Can you use the hammocks and beach chairs? Does it have snorkling? Is the water clean and does it have some shade? thanks!! -Eileen
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 04:57 AM

We didn't bring any of that with us and I don't recall seeing any unless they were in front of the various resorts. The water is absolutely clear enough for snorkeling...people were snorkling all over the place. Loved 7 mile beach
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 07:15 AM

We (family of 6, kids from 10-17) went on the Canopy Tour in Jamaica and absolutely loved it! If you've got adrenaline junkies in your group, this is a great tour, taking you across 9 different zip lines. The only advice I can offer is to take bug spray, as this is a JUNGLE canopy tour and the mosquitos can be vicious!
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:01 PM

We enjoyed Sunset beach in Jamaica. 1 1/2 years later my kids are still talking about it...the bartender made them all types of non-alcholic drinks.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 04:03 AM

As said there is a LOT to see and due in Chankanaab. WE enjoyed just watching the swim with the dolphins and are snorklers. They have trees for shade on the beach and the most unfomfortable chaises - unless they have replaced them.
In Cayman have you thought of swimming with the sting rays? I'm sure the ship will have a tour there but contact Captain Marvin. He is less than the ship and has fewer people going.
In Jamaica there is also Dunns River Falls which is climbed.
Don't know how many are going to be going in your family but we have a rule whenever we cruise with anyone else. We all do our OWN thing. If it happens to be the same thing that's great, otherwise, we see each other at dinner and talk about our day. You should also go to cruisecritic.com. You can find out about different tours/things to do in almost any port at that site and will find more info than you can use there!
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:56 AM

Hi,
we are going on our first cruise taking the explorer of the seas with our three year old. The ports of call are Labadee and Ochos Rios. I read the posts here and wonder how safe you felt going on your own in Ochos Rios. I like the suggestions about the cab driver and going to a resort. Which resort and are there any cover charges? I think in Labadee we will just go to the beach on our own since it is a "controlled environment". Thanks for you suggestions
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:55 PM

We've always felt safe in Jamaica. But in Ocho Rios, I'd suggest ship tour, for the convenience and price. Take Dunn's River waterfall tour combined with dolphin cove tour. For kids, we also booked swim with dolphins over there. Make sure you buy "water socks" before sail to walk the rocks.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 05:06 AM

Hi,

those are great suggestions and sound like good excursions in Ochos Rios; however, with our three year old they would be impossible to do. Any other ideas? Thanks so much.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 06:26 AM

We went to all-inclusive resort in Montego bay for $40 p.p. I am sure there are others in Ocho but never did that.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 06:51 AM

We just got off the Freedom. It was amazing. I don't agree with taking the ship's excursion to Dunn's. By the time they got there, it was a huge human chain and it took forever to get up the falls. The last time we booked with Peat Taylor and were the first up the Falls and had time to do a lot more. Of course, the Freedom docks in Montego Bay, not Ocho Rios. We looked from our balcony and decided to stay on the ship.In fact, I stayed on the ship the whole week, lol.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 03:05 PM

Has anyone done the snorkeling right off of Chankanaab Park? We will have the kids with us (ages 9 and 12) and don't want to waste our time and money if you can't really see anything from the beach. Should we take a snorkeling boat tour instead?
Also, can you just hang out at the beach at the park and swim?
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 05:08 PM

YES! The reef at Chankanaab is right off the beach. You have to climb down some slippery rocks, but you never have to venture out beyond about 10 ft! Do bring some food in baggies to feed the fish. The coral is so-so, but there are lots of fish. It's a very nice place to hang out- a couple bars/restaurants, the whole dolphin thing....btw, we stayed late and the man took my kids to the dolphin area and let them play with them! They loved it.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 06:18 PM

jamiaca ocho rios ? I took the inertube ride on the white river. it was great the tour guides took xlnt care of us and it was very safe. it came out on a beach with waiting red stripes my sister in law took dunns falls and twisted ankle while climbing. cozumel has very cheap car rentals $30 for a day i'm going to be there in apr and i'm going to start at punta sur to snorkle and work my way back visiting dzul-ha and paradise beach both free entrance with beer and food service avail. grand caymons waz there in dec 7 mile beach fun took taxi for $5 clams per person each way toa beach with facilities run by hotel food beer etc. rentals chairs and so on get there early and grab a small shade tree. also there is always a van to return you to georgetown for 5 somolias 60 days til i return ayuh

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -