Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Were you sick on a ship? A different motion sickness question.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, a question to those who got sick on a ship or to those who’d traveled with sick people. How do you (or they) feel once off the ship? Did the sickness go away fast?

The reason I’m asking, I may be able to meet other Fodorites for a get-together. This will be my first cruise, so I don’t know how well ginger will work for me. I might get sick on the ship, but don’t want to feel miserable meeting others or even to stand them up!

Does anybody know if people who get sick on a ship feel fine off-shore during the day?
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:57 AM

You are too serious about it so i am affraid to made a mistake here but I am almost sure that sickness goes away when on land. Hopefully you will be fine. Maybe you just need a few hours Ferry tour just to see how you feeling.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

I was fine with 2 hours as a part of a multi-day bus tour, taking ginger every day. This gives me hope!

I just don't want to tell others, yes, I will be there, and then unable to make it.

Thanks for hope, LovLivLaf, or should I call you FiLoLi
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 11:42 AM

Call me whatever just don't hit over the head with a hummer! LOL
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 02:56 PM

You will feel better as soon as you are off the ship, however depending upon what you took you could feel drowsy (Bonine, etc.). The crew on the cruise we were on a year ago told us to drink ginger ale and eat a green apple (seriously), it will really help. Our cabin attendant told us they all do it, likewise our waiter. (this was a Princess southern Caribbean cruise)
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 03:14 PM
sallylouise

I don't get seasick but once off the ship I have dizziness but no stomach upset for a few days. The first time I couldn't figure out what was wrong and then my husband said he felt the same. I now know it is not uncommon to experience this after a cruise.

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

I know already about green apples and coke. I know I shouldn't stop ginger for a few days after the cruise not to feel dizzy.

Thank you, guys, I feel so much better!

Dramamine does make me drowsy, but I hope it won't come to taking it. The effect wares off after a nap. Or a night sleep. I should be fine!!!!
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 07:04 PM

For the most part, once you're off the ship you'll feel better. One thing you might want to look into is the "relief band". It is different from the sea bands & I swear by it. I have the kind that you can replace the battery - it's about $90 - but I've had it for 5 years. It's the only thing I know of that will work AFTER you start feeling sick. It send little shocks thru your wrist to the brain to interrupt the signals that you feel seasick. Check out it's website (I think it's reliefband.com) or you can do a search on it. It was originally developed for morning sickness and chemo patients. I think it works great & you just turn it on when you need it ....

I got mine at CVS on line.

Sherryl
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Sherryl, I saw the band at Walgreens, and it says on the box, it must be applied properly to work.

I've been reading the motion sickness discussions on this forum, and for some people it didn't work. I'm very hesitant to try it.

I know ginger and dramamine work for me, the latter gives me a good night sleep

But thank you for telling me it works for chemo patients, if life takes me there, I'll be ready to try anything!