Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Web site for excursions?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/web-site-for-excursions-412486/)

nanauno Aug 13th, 2008 04:58 AM

Web site for excursions??

Someone told me they found a website that cheaper excursions than the ship offered. In fact, a playing with the dolphin excursion went to the same place but was half the price that Carnival offered. She lost the website! Any one have any suggestions - we are going on a cruise in Italy in Sept.

Eschew Aug 15th, 2008 12:53 PM

You must be thinking about www.shoretrips.com

I heard decent things about them but have not use them yet.

There prices is not "half" , more like 15% to 25% less. You can book the same trip yourself at even less than what they charge.

What you are missing when you book shoretrips or on your own is what I call "missing the boat" assurance.

Let's say the tour bus or boat or plane or whatever transportation device broke down and you miss the ship's departure time when you get back, you literally missed the boat and is on your own.

If you buy a shore excursion from the cruise line, they will promsie to get you back to the ship at the next stop (or wait till you get back if it is not too late) if something should happen.

Aristotle Aug 15th, 2008 03:22 PM

The prices I just saw on shoretips.com are much more than I paid on the ship. Doing places on your own has advantages - usually cheaper, but then, as noted, you are on your own also if you miss thew boat. Also, I have yet to take a shore excursion, unless I just walked around the port, that did not include a generous allotment of my time to shopping in favored stores. Sometimes it is painfully obvious that these shopping stops are the primary duty of the guides. For example, we skipped several interesting- looking sites at Olympia, as well as half the museum so that we could spend plenty of time in a couple of second rate souvenier shops. It was the same on all the ship sponsered excursions. On the other hand, on other cruises we have picked up a cab or van and also had prolonged stops for shopping.

bcirish Aug 15th, 2008 03:42 PM

I personally think it has to do with how many people who are involved when booking excursions - the more there are the more expensive the cruise ship seems to be. There are some good independent cruises available in Greece - I do not think they were all that much less though. When we were in Santorini we did an independent cause we wanted to go to the volcano were not interested in shopping or a bus - had fun - price was reasonable. I fyou are interested - will see if I can find their site. YOu can also try viator.com for tours and portreviews.com to learn where the ships dock and what there is to do in the port. Personally I would connect with the other people who will be on your ship at cruise critic.com- It is a great way to meet others on your ship and a great way to find out what others on your ship are going to be doing. That is how I found the tour in Santorini- it came through a lady who has been cruising on the med repeatedly and wanted different things to do - we ended up going with their family who happened to be german and had a great day. Good luck. that was one of our favorite cruises.

nanauno Aug 20th, 2008 04:06 AM

Thank you - thank you for helping me. Portreview was very helpful giving the times for all the trains to get into the cities! This helps so much and was just what I needed.

Eschew Aug 24th, 2008 02:44 AM

If you have a small group, best way to go is to rent a limo. Get the driver to meet you at dock. Book the car for half a day. You can go where you want, stay as long or as short as you want.