Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page > Weather in Turkey, Greece, Egypt in October?

Weather in Turkey, Greece, Egypt in October?

Apr 22nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Weather in Turkey, Greece, Egypt in October?

Hello,
I am considering two cruises, both are the same itinerary on Royal Carribean Vision of the Seas but going in opposite directions, the cruise name is 'Holy Land', we picked it for the itinerary. We cruised before but not Mideterranean. We usually travel on our own and create our own itinerary with the huge help from Fodorites. This community was absolutely fantastic proving tons of information and variety of opinions. This time we (in our 40's-50's) are traveling with parents (in their 70's but active) for their Gold Anniversary.
Questions about the cruises.
The first one leaves from Athens on Sep 28 and goes to Cypress, Israel, Egypt and then Turkey finishing in Istambul on Oct 09 ( 11 days, 2 days at sea). The second one starts in Istambul on Oct 9 and goes in oppsite direction finishing in Athens (10 days, 2 days at sea).
Weather. We are going to be in Istambul at about the same time no matter which cruise we pick. How is the weather in Istambul at the beginning of October? What about the rest of the itinerary? Is it better to be in Athens at the end of Sep or mid-Oct? Egypt - is it still hot there at the beginnin of Oct? is Mid-Oct better?
We will stay in Athens and Istambul before and after cruise as we've never been there before. What is a reasonable amount of time that we need to spend in each city to see main attractions and get a flavor?
How far are the ports in Athens and Istambul from the city?
Have anyone taken a cruise of Bosfor in Istambul? is it something you would recommend to do if we are cruising into or from Istambul?
I am getting contraversial information on visas. Can we get them on the ship? or should we obtain them prior?
Sorry for tons of questions, but since the itinerary is the same and price is very close i am trying to see what sets those cruises apart and also get more information in general.
Apr 22nd, 2009, 03:09 PM

Hi K,

I can help with the weather as we were in Turkey for 3 weeks last year from 1st October. The weather was actually perfect and good for travelling. Whilst it is definitely warm - it's not hot and uncomfortable. Very enjoyable.

We did a cruise on the Bospherus and we enjoyed it but if your time is limited in Istanbul you may want to make other things the priority.

I've just re read your post and I think you'd need at least 3 nights in Istanbul but it depends on your budgets etc. If you were going to spend 3 nights minimum I think you could fit in a river cruise.

I also have contact information of an excellent private tour guide in Istanbul if you are interested. Let me know.

Search this Thread