Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page > We are going on Carnival Conquest in May...

We are going on Carnival Conquest in May...

Jan 20th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

We are going on Carnival Conquest in May...

And I have a few questions. This will be our first cruise. We are departing from New Orleans. Is it safe to let people take our luggage to the ship from the parking area? Are there shuttles from parking area to dock? How far is the walk and how much is parking fee? We are staying in suite cat 12 and parents and grandmother are staying across hall in 2 inside cabins. Does anyone suggest getting the bon voyage package from carnival? How far is Negril from Montego Bay? We are thinking of getting a day pass to Beaches. Are there any topless sundecks/pools? What is best time to board ship? We would like to get there early. We will be driving from B'ham but might decide to drive down the night before. Does anyone have any good places in New Orleans to stay at? We are traveling with myself (28), my husband (31), our daughter (3), my mom (50), my dad (55), and my grandmother (78). Thanks for any info.
Kimberley
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:38 PM

Kimberley:

I thought you said a "few" questions!

Here are some answers:

1. Is it safe to let people take our luggage to the ship from the parking area?

Yes.

2. Are there shuttles from parking area to dock? How far is the walk and how much is parking fee?

I flew to NO, but there seemed to be parking right at the dock. No idea what it costs, though.

3. Does anyone suggest getting the bon voyage package from carnival?

I wouldn't--anything they can do, you can do cheaper.

2. How far is Negril from Montego Bay? We are thinking of getting a day pass to Beaches.

Not sure. However, if you decide to do a tour, contact Carolyn Barrett at www.barrettadventures.com. We hiked up Mayfield Falls and it was wonderful.

3. Are there any topless sundecks/pools?

The sun deck around the funnel is supposed to be top-optional/adults only--in theory, anyway.

4. What is best time to board ship? We would like to get there early. We will be driving from B'ham but might decide to drive down the night before.

You can usually board anytime after about 12:00 or 12:30. You can usually expect a wait, but with a CAT 12 you may get preferential treatment.

5. We stayed on Bourbon Street at the Bourbon Orleans, but it may not be the best option for anyone who doesn't want to party--it's loud on Sat. nights.

Have a wonderful cruise!
Feb 5th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Triathlete,
Thanks so much for answering all my questions! At first I just had a few and then they just kept coming and coming. Thanks again!
Kimberley
Feb 5th, 2004, 10:37 AM

Any time.
Feb 6th, 2004, 05:46 AM

Parking is right next to the dock, you can pull up and drop off. Parking is $12/day cash in advance. http://www.portno.com/cruise_info.htm#PARKING

Tip the porters and your luggage will make it on the ship. I think the add on "packages" are costly for what you get. You can supply your own easily since you are driving there. Topless sunbathing is available on an upper deck on Carnival.
Jan 16th, 2005, 01:19 PM

I will be sailing Conquest in June. A lot of info can be found on cruisecritic.com
Jan 20th, 2005, 09:00 AM
abp

Thanks for the info on www.cruisecritic.com. We plan on sailing the Conquest in August with a large family group.
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Message: Triathlete....I also will be flying into New Orleans for a 2/20 depart on the Conquest. Can you offer any assistance on how to get to the airport to the doc? I'm wondering if it is better to schedule a ride ahead of time instead of relying on a taxi. Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.
Jan 28th, 2005, 10:11 AM

For a first time cruiser, Carnival will be fun, but for seasoned cruises, several other lines are much better.
Feb 11th, 2005, 07:24 PM

Hey blueeyes - We will be on the same cruise - first ever for my husband and I. My in-laws went last year and enjoyed it so much they wanted to take us - of course we let them. Hope the weather is good. We are located just outside Birmingham in Pinson Alabama. Where are you coming from?

Search this Thread