Search

Cruise Help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Help

Hello everyone!

I went on one cruise, 2 years ago, on Princess in the Caribbean. I absolutely loved it!
What cruise lines would be similar to Princess??? I'm 25 years old, and I loved the mix of events...things to do during the day, but good little bars or party places at night. What other cruise line would fit these needs?

Also, looking to book a cruise for this late July or Early August....any suggestions on WHERE to cruise?? Honestly, I'm up for anything. I don't know what is a good place to go that time of year? Any suggestions would be great!!! Thanks!
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 03:54 AM

Try for your age group Royal Caribbean... or NCL...The Carribbean will be hot, hot, hot..try cruising to Bermuda... Of course there is Carnival...w hich IMO is a step down from Princess.. but checkthe boards.... lots of people here should give you great ideas
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 05:51 AM

I agree with ParrotMom in that Carnival food & service is a step down from Princess. However, their nightlife and entertainment is much, much better--so don't rule Carnival out. (Might be a better fit for you at 25). July/August is one of the most expensive times of the year, and there will be lots of familes with kids on board. If you can go at any time when the kids are in school, you'll save quite a bit.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Yeah, I loved Princess. It'll be just my fiance and I...we're pretty low-key, won't be out late partying, would rather wake up early and take advantage of the day. We like to hang out at a bar and have a few drinks though.

Any regions that would be a good visit during July/August (only time we both can go this year)?
Even considering Alaska, but if so, I have NO idea what type of itinerary would be best? We would just want to see as much beautiful scenery and nature and animals as possible....thanks!
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 02:11 PM

Alaska should be great in July! Maybe in August too. The cruises go there May - September.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 02:25 PM

So, what's wrong with booking Princess again? Repeat customer discount etc. Celebrity is clsoer to Princess than RCCL and the customer profle is about the same (30-50)

If you loved the parties, RCCL and Carnival is definietly the way to go but they are a small step down from Celebritya nd Princess.

Good time to go to Alaska in July and August for sure.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
I have zero knowledge about good Alaska cruise trips....out of the Princess itineraries, which ones are "the best"??
We'd be looking for the best scenery and adventure and wildlife!
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 09:32 AM

Hi, if you're considering Princess for Alaska (Alaska is great for summer, BTW), I just read an article about deals they are offering this summer, it's here: http://www.allthingscruise.com/princ...mers-sailings/. Also, if you're really outdoorsy you might consider looking at Lindblad, they do some really amazing Alaska itineraries!
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 01:24 PM

I’ve cruised with Princess (twice (Mexico and Pacific Coast)), Royal Caribbean (twice (Caribbean)), Celebrity (Alaska), and Holland America (Caribbean). All of these lines have their positives and negatives, but I would cruise with any of them again.

Alaska was my favorite destination. The scenery was incredibly beautiful. The highlights of our cruise were getting up close to Hubbard Glacier by ship and walking on Mendenhall glacier during a shore excursion. You can read more and see pictures at www.mydreamcametrue.com/dreamglacier

Wherever you decide to go, I hope you have a wonderful cruise!
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the help
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 07:42 PM

We are Princess lovers. Made platinum status on our April 2009 cruise, so took advantage of some of the privileges on our cruise last month. If you're not interested in "discoing all night" I thnk Princess would suit you fine, and you could probably disco all night even on Princess. Some have said Carnival is a small step down from Princess. I would call it a giant step (of course I'm no fan of Carnival).

We did an Inside Passage cruise with Princess in June 2005 and while Alaska was about 102 on my list of 1 to 10 of places I wanted to visit, I was very pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it. We sailed from San Francisco and visited Sitka (I doubt that would be a port of call now), Juneau, Skagway, Victoria, BC, and cruised Tracy Arm Fjord. We like Victoria so much we went back for several days in August 2005. Check Princess' website for all the Alaska itineraries, as well as all their other destinations. I don't think you would be disappointed with either the cruise line or Alaska, a very beautiful state.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 02:49 PM

I like Northbound and come home from Alaska. Others preferred Southbound as you can see the inside passage during more daylight hours. Yet others prefer the convience of round trip.

Galcer Bay National Park, College Fjord, Hubbard are high on my list. Usually only one way passage itenary will stop at Glacier Bay and COllege Fjord. Tracy Arm is okay but no comparison to the two mentioned above. Must see places would include Misty Fjord.

I love Sitka but it is not a popular stop (you have to tender ashore and there are times that the sea is too rough to tender) Almost everyone stops at the same crowded places: Juneanu, Ketchikan, Skagway. When all the ships are there, it added 6 to 8,000 people to the lowcal population ...

Victoria is a stop if the ship departs from US on a round trip. On the Vancouver round trip, the ship will stop somewhere else. (Old us Maritime rule, must stop at a foreign port at least once before coming home.)

Lots of wildlife such as whale, bald eagle, sea lions, seals, bears etc. You may catch them on the cruise ship or get close and personal by boooking tours. Bring binoculars. Take advantage of the naturlist on board.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 06:10 PM

The Inside Passage to Alaska cruise on Princess is wonderful and departs from Seattle, which would make an additional fun component to your vacation in July / August, the best time to visit here.