Wah small cruise ship would you recommend?

Dec 7th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Wah small cruise ship would you recommend?

Would like to cruise in the med next May. Do not want to go on a mega ship. What are the nice ones out there?
Dec 7th, 2004, 04:28 PM

How small is small? There are ships less than 100 passengers - Sea Cloud,etc., less than 400 - Silverseas, Seabourn and some Radisson, and midsize ones like Radisson Voyager. I believe Crystal is around 1000 so as Holland America's Princendom. I'm partial to Silversea, but they all cost significantly more than mega ships. You need to decide on your budget first.
Dec 7th, 2004, 05:22 PM

We loved the 684 passenger Oceania ship Insugnia in October.
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:02 AM

How about a Windjammer cruise? Significantly smaller and more casual than the big ships.
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:41 AM

Highly recommend the Royal Clipper...first class, beautiful new sailing ship......
Dec 8th, 2004, 11:35 AM
megsterl

i would recommend going on a cruise ship that is of the larger ones, like royal caribbean, but go on one of there smaller ships, like granduer of the seas. i went on the ship two years ago, and loved it. went on the bigger one and didnt like as much

Dec 8th, 2004, 04:11 PM

Agree with the others that you need to determine your budget. The smaller luxury ships such as Silversea, Seabourn and Radisson do charge more upfront but IMO, you really get such a better experience. I'd much rather cruise less often but when I do, make it really memorable not like a cattle call experience. When you go on a ship that is close to all inclusive, you may actually come out $ ahead!

Lots of great choices...also you should decide if a balcony is important or not. Some small ships are all balcony suites and some don't have any.
Dec 14th, 2004, 04:40 AM

Look at the Windsurf ( part of the Windstar cruise line-which is owned by Holland America),,,

They carry 330 people, go into small GREAT ports that the large ships cannot even fit into and have open seating dining.....

Cheaper than Crystal or Seabourn but super super nice! Windsurf is a 4 masted sailing yacht and they do put the sails up and use them...

Romantic,small and super nice---not as luxurious as Crystal, but surely not as expensive either...

We did the Windsurf from Rome to Nice and we LOVED it...Hubs especially loved the "casual elegant" dress code- ie NO tux,no gown needed"...but still country club elegant...