Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Voyager of the Seas/Western Mediterranean/Shore Excursions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling with 8 adults this June on Voyager of the Seas/Naples-Rome-Florence-Marseille/7 nights.
1) Any suggestions for hiring (in advance) dependable shore excursion companies at these ports with a large group? Or should we just try to hire a driver with a van when we arrive at the port?
2) Drinking age on the ship? (We will be with 3 - 18 year olds) How strict are they in enforcing the rules?
3) Are there laundry facilties onboard?
4) Has anyone taken this cruise recently and have any helpful suggestions?
Thanks!
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 07:45 PM

We used Giovanni from www.tourofitaly.com in Naples. There were six of us, and I can't remember if the van would have held eight. We had originally been scheduled to tender in Amalfi, so had contracted for a day along the Amalfi coast. The weather caused us to dock in Naples, instead, but when we emailed him a day in advance, he already knew about the change and was planning to be in Naples when we got there. It was a wonderful day.

If you go to the Ports of Call section of the message boards at www.cruisecritic.com, you will find lots of information about private tour companies.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 05:33 AM

Hi, I'm traveling on the same cruise in nov. are the trains assessable from the docks also please give any information that I might need to enhance my trip ie: excursions, best part of the ship, what not to miss... I'm traveling with my daughter(21) and want to travel freely I've been to Italy on a tour where thinking was an option...I want to go about on our own upon arriving to the ports of call is this idea feasible? thank you, cldhzinf
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 05:31 AM

www.romeinlimo.com gets great reviews on cruisecritic.com and I think they offer services in three ports you will be in.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 07:54 PM

Just got back from this cruise a week ago. When we went, we took tours for all the ports of call and had a wonderful time. There is never enough time on the tours. If I were to do it again, I will do Capri and Rome on my own. From Naples, you can take the hydrofoil to Capri directly from the port. From Civitavecchia, you can take the shuttle from the ship to the entrance and then walk to the train station. The train ticket to Rome is inexpensive. You just need to plan in advance what you want to do in these places so you maximize your time.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:32 AM
ira

Hi CLD,

The ship docks in Naples. You can spend the day visiting Naples or take a boat to Capri or a train to Sorrento and a bus to Positano and back.

The ship docks in Civitavecchia for Rome. You take the train from Civitavecchia Centrale to Rome.

The ship docks in Livorno for Florence take the train from Livorno Centrale. You can go on to Pisa, if you wish.

Train schedules and prices are at www.trenitalia.com.

Here is a suggestion for a day in Florence.
A DAY IN FLORENCE:

Train to Florence SMN:
The Luggage Office is to your left as you leave the train.

From Piazza d' Stazione, walk up via Nazionale to via d'Ariento and the Mercato Centrale, wander through.

Take any street going NE to Via Degli Alfani and go right to the Accademia for The David.

Take via Ricasoli SE to the Duomo, the Baptistry and the Opera Museum (Originals of the bronzes on the doors)

From the Campanile, take via Calzaiuoli S (do some window shopping) to the Piazza d' Signoria. Look around, take a break.

Continue S to the Uffizi. Visit.

From the Uffizi, walk W along the Arno River to the Ponte Vecchio.

(You can walk up to the Pitti Palace and the Boboli Gardens if there is time. Great views of Florence from the top of the Gardens)

If you have time, walk E along the S bank of the river to Ponte alle grazie and cross over to visit Santa Croce.

If not, go W along the Arno from Ponte Vecchio to Ponte S. Trinita and go right. Go left on Via d'Spada to via d'Fossi and go right to Santa Maria Novella. Look around.

SMN is across the square from the train station.

If you have time, take the no. 7 bus (you can find it at the SMN train station) up to Fiesole (0:20 hr 1E) to watch the sunset from the terrace of the Bar Bleu.

Be sure to have lots of gelato (in a cup, not a cone), take some wine breaks and a light lunch.

Train schedules, prices and tickets are at http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
Call center from outside Italy is 39-06-68475475

Bus routes are at http://www.ataf.net/
Buy your ticket before you get on the bus. Stamp it in the yellow box on the bus.

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
You can purchase tickets online at http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/english/musei/uffizi/
Or call the museum booking line on +39 055 294883, open during Italian hours from 8.15 am to 5.50 pm Tuesday to Sunday for the English-speaking operator.

Have a nice visit.

Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 07:19 AM

Outstanding thank you! Where would you suggest we dine in Rome? We're looking for a mom & pop type place with great food & wine (being Italian I want authentic not commercial) thank you so much!
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:58 PM

Hello My family and firends from my daughters school will also be on this cruise. June 20th out of Barcelona, is that your cruise?
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:36 PM

solmiami this thread is from April 09 so I think they went last April. I am on the June 20th 2010 cruise with a crazy bunch of people celebrating a birthday.
Ann Marie
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:39 PM

I mean I think they went last June...
Old May 30th, 2010, 01:32 PM

We have private tours booked in 4 of the 5 ports. We booked with www.limosineserviceinrome.com for the Italian ports. This service came highly recommended from cruise critics forum. Would love to share any/all tours. E-mail me if you are interested.
[email protected]