Viking River Cruises: 1/2 price sale

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have somehow been placed on their mailing list. Currently they are advertising 2 sail for the price of one, PLUS discounts on airfare. Some of the itinerarys look interesting: waterways of France, The Amsterdam to Germany sailings on the Rhine/Mosel.

Have you been on these sailings? Is everybody over 70? Can you do your own exploration in town as opposed to guided walks? There is something to be said for only unpacking once. Would like to hear your thoughts. How does the cabin size compare with that of an ocean cruise ship.
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 01:13 PM

I took a Viking cruise from Antwerp to Basal about 3-4 years ago. If you book in the U.S. then everyone on that tour will speak English. Most passengers that summer were 40-65 years old. The biggest problem was that not all stops were at towns/cities on the Rhine. Often we had to take a bus to the town (45 minutes - over 1 hour). When we did dock at a town it was great because we could come and go as we wish.
I've done many large cruise ship trips and the Viking cabin size was very comparable, but only 3 meals a day, afternoon snacks that disappeared as quickly as they appeared, and if you miss a meal, too bad.
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 01:36 PM

2 for 1 offers with Viking are not uncommon, I've seen these offers been advertised for several years. If there is no 2 for 1 offer, there's usually a comparable promotion.

As for airfare, I'd check prices from you hometown before you deceide to let Viking arrange you airfare. I've been on cruises and tours (not with Viking) where passengers have been booked on appauling schedules (long lay overs, long routings, etc) by cruise line/tour operator. Honestly, if you want some control over your flight itinerary, which airline you fly with (especially if FF points are important) than arrange your airfare yourself.
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 01:10 PM

I have been on 2 Vantage Christmas cruises on the Rhine and one Grand Circle Rhine-Mosel river cruise. Loved both. Yes, you can go off on your own. I usually walk into town with my group, listening to the tour guide commentary for awhile and then take off and roam around on my own. Occasionally there will be a bus to take you to another town (for instance docking in one town and optional bus to Heidelburg) The meals are quite good and I certainly felt that 3 meals a day did it for me...besides, I like to try things in the towns, too. I traveled alone and always met others to eat or walk about with if I so chose. Ages are from 40's to 80's. Directors were great and local tour guides very knowledgeable. Grand Circle now has no single supplement on many trips. Yes, the optional tours are extra $$, but that's your choice to go or not. It's a great way to travel- unpack once and never have to hunt for a parking space!! JKR