Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Viking Ocean Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/viking-ocean-cruises-1698781/)

Italiantable Jul 14th, 2021 01:53 PM

Viking Ocean Cruises

We are scheduled for a western med cruise on Viking and I cannot find ANY threads about their ocean cruises. We are celebrating our anniversary and it is our first cruise. We have a layover at Heathrow and are boarding in Rome. Anyone have any advice about the Heathrow layover? We have 3 hours there. We are both vaccinated. I tagged River Cruises because there is no category for Viking Ocean Cruises.

Thanks in advance.

janisj Jul 14th, 2021 02:57 PM

re the specific cruise -- You might want to check for info on Cruisecritic.

Re the LHR layover What is it you want to know? Three hours isn't really a 'layover' but a shortish connection. When is they trip? It would help if you tell us which airlines, if you know which terminal(s), and if it is one one booking or two tickets. Did you book your flights through the cruise line?

RoamsAround Jul 14th, 2021 03:37 PM

For detailed info on making your connection at LHR go to the LHR website and click on the “Connections” link then enter your planned date of travel and your incoming and departing flights. You’ll be given step by step instructions on you need to do to do and the minimum time you’ll need to make your connection.

Italiantable Jul 15th, 2021 12:51 PM

Thank you for the recommendation to check Cruisecritic.. I will do that! Details about the trip - Phoenix -> Heathrow -> Rome . American Airlines and British Airways. All one booking and it is through Viking. I know we will have to have a Covid test done before we leave Phoenix and since we are transitioning through Heathrow I don't think we need to do another one there? We are returning to the states from Barcelona via Heathrow and I know we have to have a covid test coming back as well (for now). I believe we come in to Heathrow at terminal 5 and leave for Rome at terminal 3. Not sure about the return flight yet.

Italiantable Jul 15th, 2021 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by RoamsAround (Post 17262670)
For detailed info on making your connection at LHR go to the LHR website and click on the “Connections” link then enter your planned date of travel and your incoming and departing flights. You’ll be given step by step instructions on you need to do to do and the minimum time you’ll need to make your connection.

oh thanks so much!! That is so helpful!

Sassafrass Jul 16th, 2021 05:52 PM

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberr...an-cruises/cl/

HappyTrvlr Jul 17th, 2021 09:27 AM

The Heathrow connection is very very helpful. We usually fly into LHR so matter where we are going.
Several friends of ours like to cruise and speak highly of Viking which they all have cruised on several times.
They tend to book excursions privately not through Viking. Look at “tours by locals”. The cruise critic forums/ boards will help you. You can post a question there and get help from knowledgeable cruisers.

Italiantable Jul 17th, 2021 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sassafrass (Post 17263379)

Thank you so much!!

Reading54 Jul 19th, 2021 07:58 AM

You may find the ROLL CALL of your cruise on CruiseCritic forum and then chat with people on your cruise to exchange info or organize/join private shore excursions.

To read CruiseCritic's ROLL CALLS you must log in with your CruiseCritic ID, so register for one if you don't already have one.

Go to https://boards.cruisecritic.com/

Scroll down to ROLL CALLS section, find and click on the link to Viking Ocean Roll Calls

On the next page, scroll down to find your ship, and select the month of your sailing date to narrow down the search. The roll calls are currently not very active.

Sassafrass Jul 19th, 2021 07:30 PM

Roll calls on cruisecritic are not as active as they used to be because there are so many cruise groups on FaceBook.

Italiantable Jul 20th, 2021 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr (Post 17263527)
The Heathrow connection is very very helpful. We usually fly into LHR so matter where we are going.
Several friends of ours like to cruise and speak highly of Viking which they all have cruised on several times.
They tend to book excursions privately not through Viking. Look at “tours by locals”. The cruise critic forums/ boards will help you. You can post a question there and get help from knowledgeable cruisers.

Thank you. I am checking out cruise critic!

HappyTrvlr Jul 20th, 2021 04:57 PM

When are you sailing? Viking had a passenger test positive recently in Iceland. You need to check on this information and how they handled the situation.

Italiantable Jul 20th, 2021 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr (Post 17264643)
When are you sailing? Viking had a passenger test positive recently in Iceland. You need to check on this information and how they handled the situation.

I am following that information on a Facebook group. A few people have posted that it was handled very well. We are sailing late October.

Italiantable Jul 20th, 2021 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Reading54 (Post 17264076)
You may find the ROLL CALL of your cruise on CruiseCritic forum and then chat with people on your cruise to exchange info or organize/join private shore excursions.

To read CruiseCritic's ROLL CALLS you must log in with your CruiseCritic ID, so register for one if you don't already have one.

Go to https://boards.cruisecritic.com/

Scroll down to ROLL CALLS section, find and click on the link to Viking Ocean Roll Calls

On the next page, scroll down to find your ship, and select the month of your sailing date to narrow down the search. The roll calls are currently not very active.

I did this today and there was no roll call for our sailing. So I added one. Fingers crossed.

Sassafrass Jul 21st, 2021 06:36 AM

There are several Viking Cruise Groups on FaceBook and they have thousands of members. One has 3,000 plus members, one over 9,000 and one over 30,000, so you could certainly get a lot of reviews, opinions and make some connections. The groups are private, so you will have to join them.