Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Uniworld's Burgundy & Provence Cruise Vs. Tauck's Cruises

Feb 9th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

I am looking at taking a river cruise mid May . I am considereing two european river cruise companies and their tours in France. Has anyone experiened cruising on Uniworld's River Royale leaving Chalon sur Saone to Arles? It looks very nice.
I am also looking at Tauck's cruise from Monte Carlo to Paris, or the cruise from Paris to Arles. Tauck's cruises are more expensive than Uniworld . What crusie company and tour would give a top-draw experience? Thanks for any cruise information you can advise a first time river cruise travellers.
Feb 10th, 2012, 01:20 AM

Anectodatally have done Tauck.com for a land tour more upscale they were great never cruised with them. Uniworld Danube more moderate for me in the past AARP.org crowd retirees mostly few families nice not as great as Tauck. cruiscritic.com boards for reviews on both ships best to where most expertise resides. Tauck for me probably.

Good luck!
Feb 10th, 2012, 11:12 AM

Hi Cambee,

I also have been looking at a Tauck Riveboat cruise through France. I have heard wonderful things about their cruises and I heard they are the World's Best Riverboat Cruise operator.
I know couple of people who did a Tauck Riverboat cruise and they were very happy with it. Apparently, Tauck does a lot of extra nice touches, and best of all gratuities to the boat staff are included in the price of the tour. Like you, I am also concerned about pricing.

I am lookling at these 2 cruises:

French Waterways and Vineyards Cruise, it looks like the trip kicks off in Paris, which is neat since I have never been there.
http://www.tauck.com/tours/europe-to...s-ro-2012.aspx

A Taste of France that looks interesting as well. http://www.tauck.com/tours/europe-to...-rof-2012.aspx

Keep us posted on what you decide.
Apr 6th, 2012, 09:22 AM

We took the Taste of France trip last September. It was awesome. Tauck is top of the line, totally inclusive, and it was a marvelous experience. We enjoy cocktails and that was the only expense we had the entire trip and even there, Tauck offers free cocktails during happy hour some evenings, and discounted prices the others. So, once you've paid the bill upfront, you've paid essentially everything. The food onboard was delicious and the sightseeing trips were very interesting, a nice mix of history, wine and food tasting, and culture. Ask away. I think Tauck is worth it.