Need some help finding the right cabin

Old Apr 10th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help finding the right cabin

Hey everyone,

Despite the fact that I am relatively new to the forum, I wanted to see if you could help me with a few things that I was considering. I have done a number of Google searches but I wanted to see what you thought.

Location of the cabin – I know that stability is important, especially considering that I am going to travel with someone who claims that they tend to get seasick rather quickly. I have been told that being lower and centralized on the ship is the best bet if you are traveling with someone who is seasick. So the advice would be to find something on the lowest level? Even if it means that I will not have the same great views I suppose. I guess that it does mean that I will not have to worry about noise as much.

Is there anyone else who has had experience traveling with someone who does not handle being at sea well? Did it actually ruin your experience or were you able to plan around it and still make the most of it?

When to book – Another question I had was about securing the cabin type (and cabin location I suppose) that you want. The travel agent we were talking to recommends that you put down a deposit to ensure that you get that specific cruise. I have heard that some people are able to get a rebate in the event that prices for cabins in my category go down. Is there such a thing or should you be aware that what you are thinking about paying is actually what you will end up paying?

I have heard that it may be beneficial to wait until the last minute, but while we do have somewhat flexible travel plans, I guess it might not be a great idea if we are stuck in a particular cabin that would not suit our needs. Is there anyone who can give some suggestions on that? Thank you for any help or information that you experienced cruisers can provide.
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 10:13 AM

Being someone who has always booked last minute (only two or three weeks out), I have not had a problem getting cabins I liked, but we were not looking at suites, etc. It also depends on the itinerary and time of year.

You do not need to be on the lowest decks, just mid decks and mid ship for the most stability, more forward than aft if it comes down to that. It also depends on the particular ship. We were recently on NCL Epic. I choose deck 10, midship because it had cabins above and below, so quieter and I wanted two cabins together, inside. I would also have taken deck 9 or 11, depending on the cabin, not too close to elevators or other noisy or busy places. DD, who experienced sea sickness before, had no problem this time.

There is a web site called cruise genius that lists every ship and describes different decks and cabins.

Best advice: take preventative meds before and at beginning of cruise.
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 11:21 AM

I am the one who gets sick, and no, never a ruined cruise. You are right about the cabin being in the lower half, middle third of the ship, and make sure it has at least a porthole, there is something about connection of what your body feels and what your eyes see (I am serious about it!)

If the person who's getting sick at sea an adult? If yes, s/he knows by now what helps. Some people swear by green apples, some by ginger (capsules, not sweets), some use bracelets or patches, some Bonine or Dramamine. When I went on my first cruise, any pharmacy would envied my motion sickness supplies. I've narrowed it down now.

As for being on the lowest deck, I would advise against it. Some cruisers said they can feel the motor running (or whatever it is on a ship). Staying by an elevator is fine, they don't make noise.
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 11:32 AM

Our first cruise was 2002 for a deal that would make you weep, so will not mention the price but we have bee cruising ever since twice a year. We go with Carnival, RCCL and NCL. We do Caribbean and last April a transatlantic and hubby loves a balcony so:

need to know what is above and below you

I book 12-18 months out to get the room I want. Did balcony on RCCL to Caribbean in March on deck 10 but bought Carnival out of San Juan for March. Got a porthole cabin so will be in the very front (have to account for airfare) and only 4 cabins per ship.

Then again, taking a 18 day Med cruise on NCL with balcony in Oct. Although 16 port days, it'll be nice to catch the view from our balcony every day. So depends on trip for cabin type.

seasickness: ships are incredibly stable. We never realize when docking or departing, and Caribbean Sea is calm, so should be no problem. No problem on transatlantic either. I think there has to be a really bad storm for any sort of rocking motion. So in that case you may want to book at the last minute after checking the weather for what might happen 10 days out but then might loose the advantage of choosing the room you want.

You might also do a test: check the weather, check a cruise, see what the price is now and then in six months to preview what your actual choice might be.

May to Nov in Caribbean is hurricane season and if I can find it will repost but I had a map that shows most hurricanes happen in August and more islands are prone than others, so that might be something to consider as well.

Refunds: we book so early and get such a great deal that no refunds or on board credits make up for my price. Oct trip is now $2000 more for the two of us than I paid and March trip is $250 more but that room category is no longer available.

cruisecritic.com is a great source so cabin selection
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 04:52 PM

DH has a tendency towards motion sickness--we have had to leave the theater (way forward) on a cruise ship in not so very rough weather.

I'd pick as low and midships as you can get.

DH takes meclizine (generic Bonine) starting a couple if days before we leave.
Old Apr 13th, 2014, 11:19 AM

Hi-
I would echo what was said by others--the earlier you book, the better chance you have of getting the room you want.

I recommend using a travel agent who's done a lot of cruising; he or she can help you pick the best room for the most stable experience.

Also, be sure to bring sick sickness medication just to be sure. Fyi, my spouse has brought it on each of our 14 cruises--and hasn't used it yet! - Diana, http://musingaboutcruising.blogspot.com.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 07:04 AM

Our first cruise was on the somewhat smallish Splendour of the seas and we had a window cabin, no balcony, which was low and mid. On our first morning we woke up and looked out to see the port and to our surpise we were still moving. We did not even feel it. So you can be low with a window and still have a view and have minimum sensation of motion. You should not have to get an inside cabin.

I would not wait until the last minute especially if you want a specific cabin location. My advice is get the specific cabin you want and then keep on eye on prices. Your TA can rebook if the prices drop and this can be done until final payment is made. After that all bets are off though if there is a price drop after you have paid in full you may be able to get something like OBC, free gratuities, etc.

My wife tends to get motion sick but as long as the seas are Ok its never been a problem. However bear in mind that even todays behemoth ships are vulnerable to sway if the seas are rough enough.

Cheers, Larry.