Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Travelling with 1 year old (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/travelling-with-1-year-old-579401/)

ronjrich Jan 6th, 2006 02:01 PM

Travelling with 1 year old

My wife and I will be taking our first cruise in February and would like some advice on which line might suit us best. We would like a more upscale experience and are considering some of the smaller luxury lines, but are not sure if our 1 year old will be well received. We are interested in a Southern Caribbean itinerary and welcome any suggestions form experienced cruisers. We enjoy activities, but primarly are looking forward to a little R&R on our own little balcony. Some of our friends suggested Celebrity and princess as good options with our daughter.

Ida101 Jan 7th, 2006 02:53 AM

Some cruiselines want full payment for the 3rd person, even if it is a aby. better check that first.
Also your child cannot enroll childsprogramma yet and is not allowed in the pool.
Also check how babysitting service is, varies on the lines.
Also check on the boards of cruice-critic, info from former passengers.

maryann Jan 7th, 2006 11:23 AM

You know how active your child is now - wants to see, touch and be everywhere. Which is as it should be.

Now you are going to be confining the baby to a stroller or your arms whenever you are out of the cabin and dinner is a long time to sit there, etc.

Maybe waiting until the child is potty trained would give you and the child a better time.

Cruiser Jan 7th, 2006 01:22 PM

ronjrich:
If you are going in Feb., you better get it booked. I would say most are already filled. If you are going next Feb., you are making plans for a baby that isn't even born. Get through the birth, see what your child is like (personality, etc.) Or maybe wait a while as the previous poster suggested. It is of course your call.

Happy planning!!

PXYca Jan 9th, 2006 09:36 AM

perhaps grandma or grandpa would like a little visitor while you are on your cruise? LOL.

It really does depend on the child. I have one friend whose 9 month old baby is content to sit through a 2-3 hour dinner at a restaurant as happy as a clam taking everything in. I have another friend whose daughter from birth is far to rambunctious to sit longer than 10 minutes (and she's now 6 yrs old!) Think too of other passengers who may not appreciate a crying baby on their vacation.

If the child is really well behaved and calm - always welcome.

If the child is excitable and cranky - I wouldn't be thrilled as a fellow passenger.

kaleighsgram Jan 25th, 2006 12:23 PM

In September, we were on a RCCL cruise, along with daughter, sil, and 1 1/2 year old grandaughter. Ten days was too long for her; seven would have been perfect. Dinner was not a problem as we were seated with another set of grandparents with their daughter and her family. The kids looked forward to sitting together. The pool issue was just that - an issue. With the days at sea bright, sunny, and hot, it was hard to explain to a little one that she was not allowed to join the others for a swim. It doesn't seem like much, but it was, because as we were unaware of this policy, we came prepared with swimming Pampers and weren't allowed to use them.

Rapunzal Sep 13th, 2007 08:50 AM

Seabourn is totally unsuitable for a baby of one year. There are many other cruiselines which cater wonderfully for children of all ages. I do not think that Seabourn is in that category in any way.

kfusto Sep 13th, 2007 10:57 AM

I suggest you stick with RCI as they are very family oriented.

As others have pointed out, he/she will not be allowed in the kids program, in any of the pools, and most of the excursions are off limits.

On luxury lines, infants and toddlers are in the extreme minority and most folks are paying for an adult cruise and will not be welcoming to little ones (my opinion and experience).

Princess will give you Anytime Dining which gives you flexibility with times and might be a good choice.

eurosurfergirl Jul 15th, 2008 05:11 PM

i am also going to be traveling with an 8 month old next February. That's why i picked Princess because of the anytime dining option. Then we can go eat once the baby has eaten in the room and will more than likely be more calm. Otherwise there is always room service option. And they offer a crib if you ask for one.

southeastern Jul 16th, 2008 08:15 AM

Take a grandparent, nanny, babysitter or someone with you. It would be worth the extra money. Put the 1-year old in their cabin. It will give you a break and you would also have time with the child. It's worth every extra penny you would spend.