Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Traveling alone and want to take my dog with me.

Jul 8th, 1999, 10:40 PM
Heather Gropp

I have heard of cruises that allow you to take pets along. Since I may be traveling alone, I was interested in hearing any information about cruises that allow pets. I have a German Shepherd and would need to exercise him on board. Thank you for any help you can offer!!

Sep 14th, 1999, 08:43 AM
Carolyn Brown

Interested in the answer; I'm thinking of moving to France and I have a cat and she can't fly. I know the [email protected] has kennels but I can't even step foot in the U.S. without subjecting her to six months quarantine. Anybody know anything? Help!

Sep 14th, 1999, 08:44 AM
Carolyn Brown

Sorry, meant can't step foot in the UK, not the US!

Sep 14th, 1999, 11:23 AM
Vickie

I don't believe any of the major cruise lines allow dogs on board, except for seeing-eye dogs. As you mentioned, the QE2 does have kennels and they do allow dogs, although they can only be walked during certain hours and in specified areas. I have been on cruises where tiny little dogs (the kind that fit into a handbag) have been smuggled on board and are kept in the passenger's cabin. But, clearly a German shepherd isn't in that category!

Sep 14th, 1999, 12:05 PM
Adolph Oliver Nipples

Please keep your dog (and its smelly poop) off of my cruise. Thanks.

Sep 14th, 1999, 12:16 PM
judy

Agreed! We love our pet, but he goes to a lovely kennel on land...that is the last thing we need are pets on a cruise ship. Also, they should not allow them in the cabin on airplanes, as many people like myself are allergic to cats!
Sorry, but find a person to travel with and leave the german shepherd at home!

May 12th, 2000, 10:28 AM
Jenn

obviously, none of you own a dog. It's sad that you have not yet had the priviledge.

May 15th, 2000, 06:03 AM
Cindy

Actually, I do own a dog. He is exceptionally friendly, well-trained and well-behaved. And I never, ever take my dog to inappropriate places because that would be thoughtless, selfish, inconsiderate and just plain rude.

May 16th, 2000, 04:41 AM
merriem

How did this old post get back up here. Our dog goes to "club med" AKA, the kennel!

Aug 23rd, 2001, 08:21 PM
Rosa

Hey Heather,

Taking your dog is a great idea. I'd take my dog and cat over kids anytime.
Kids belong at home not on a ship!!

Nov 12th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Mr Henry

Merriam,

Bravo! this post is TIRED as well as absurd!

Leave the kids and the pets at home (if you can afford a cruise you can afford a nice kennel and babysitter (who doesn't have to nice! hehehe)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO