Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Travel Report for Azamara Journey - Asia Cruise (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/travel-report-for-azamara-journey-asia-cruise-976070/)

schnauzer Apr 27th, 2013 02:25 PM

Travel Report for Azamara Journey - Asia Cruise

I have just returned from my first cruise. My aging mother wanted to go on a cruise and couldn't manage on her own due to macular degeneration and recent surgery. She asked me to go along with her as her carer.

We chose the Azamara Journey 14 night cruise starting in Hong Kong, going through Vietnam, Bangkok and ending in Singapore. The dates fitted our needs and the sea days and the port days were nicely balanced. The destination wasn't the main drawcard, I had been to all the ports prior but Mum hadn't so that was OK.

We were extremely impressed with the Azamara Journey, the whole experience was very very positive. The 'family' feeling on the boat is great, you are made to feel welcome by everyone at all times. The staff are genuinely friendly and willing to help in any way they can. The cabin (we took a suite/regular) was spacious, clean and I enjoyed the larger bathroom and how it was appointed. The regular bathrooms looked very basic to me. Everything was super clean and there was everything you needed.

The food was great, I am not a great buffet person so we didn't eat many times in the Windows Cafe perferring the Discoveries Restaurant and because we had a suite we were allowed to eat in the signature restaurants for no extra charge. They were very good but I don't think they were top notch standard, yes the service was terrific but the food whilst good wasn't terribly inovative or exciting.

The activities were fine, I am still not sure about racing from one of the end of the boat to the other to catch the next trivia/game but Mum was happy to do these activities as she couldn't read.

Their on board excursions were also very well organised. We used them twice and both times were most happy. The other excursions I had organised privately so it was good to have the combination.

The entertainment was also of a great standard, the cruise director was very much involved and his enthusiasm and guidance showed amongst his 'team'. The shows were a great length, just long enough.... they don't offer the 'great extravaganza' but what they do is very good. They mixed it up with comedy, dance, singing, magic show etc.

I particularly liked the size of the boat - the main reason for choosing Azamara. They fit about 650 people on board, a really good number. No waiting in lines for anything, plenty of space around the pool if you wanted to sit and read etc.

I am still not a converted cruiser - but this fitted our bill perfectly and I would highly recommend Azamara to anyone.

Schnauzer

jacketwatch Apr 27th, 2013 03:12 PM

Great. Glad to see you had a nice time cruising. I think you will find that most cruise ship crews are very helpful and its a great experience overall.

Here's to more Bon Voyages!! Larry :-)

traveldawg May 18th, 2013 02:59 PM

We did this same cruise on AZAMARA JOURNEY in February 2013, except in reverse. We are experienced cruisers but first time Azamara. The cruise was fantastic. We were impressed by the food, the crew and the entire ship. We will definitely cruise Azamara again.

Most cruise ship crews are helpful, but these people really worked it from the captain on down. You had a good feeling the entire time you were on board.

wdw Sep 16th, 2013 02:02 PM

Good news, as we're planning the same trip. One question I have concerns where the ship docks for the Bangkok visit. How far from Bangkok is the port, and what are the options for traveling to Bangkok.

We lived in Bangkok for three years in the early 70s, and are interested in visiting things that will not be on any of the excursions.

Dave W

schnauzer Oct 3rd, 2013 01:25 PM

Just saw this post, sorry. The boat docks a lot closer than many of the others. I had arranged a private tour and they picked us up right at the dock. Grr can't remember how far it was, certainly a cab ride into town. Sometimes there is a fair walk from the ship to the exit point where taxis can be found. Mum couldn't walk far so I didn't even entertain this idea. Sorry be of more help.

traveldawg Dec 21st, 2013 05:29 PM

Response to wdw: in Bangkok we used a personal tour guide. He was great! A friend had used him the year before. If you want his contact info email me to [email protected].