Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   travel insurance for cruise (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/travel-insurance-for-cruise-468306/)

poss Aug 19th, 2004 09:33 AM

travel insurance for cruise

We'll be first time-cruisers next July, and we've never taken out trip insurance on our travels before. Have decided to start doing it. Would appreciate hearing from folks on what trip insurance to use (or to stay away from). E.g. we are AAA members, and I know that they do trip insurance, but I don't know how good their company is or how competitive their rates. Thank you!

petlover Aug 19th, 2004 01:22 PM

Some people always take cruise insurance, some never take cruise insurance and most probably do it on a case by case. You can get a quote from the cruise line and then compare it with lots of rates on www.insuremytrip.com.

LLindaC Aug 19th, 2004 08:06 PM

Not sure how much you are spending and your circumstances. We always take insurance in January...last year just missed a blizzard which shut down the airport. Never take it for September or June. Took it for a trip to S Africa and,unfortunately, had to use it! We went through CSA which was a great company and pulled through for us. I won't recommend any other company based on our experience. If you have elderly parents, previous illnesses, etc etc it's a great thing to have and really inexpensive in the long run.

gail Aug 20th, 2004 02:09 AM

You are not likely to get a lot of responses about how good a specific insurer is - since the vast majority of people who buy it never need it (that is, of course, the case with most insurance). To us, there are only 2 points on the insurance that is of value - trip cancellation (either you, travel companion, or immediate family member so you can't go) and medical treatment/evacuation. All the other stuff - luggage protection, bail bondsmen, etc is just fillers.

Only you can decide how mad you will be if Grandma dies and you have to stay home or if you break both legs and can't go - and have to eat the cost of the cruise. Also, depends on cancellation/refund policy of specific cruiseline.

The other, medical treatment/evacuation is something to consider. Do you want to get serious medical care at some small island hospital? Do you want to recuperte there for a month? Medical ambulances are incredibly expensive.

That said, most people never need the insurance. How much of a gambler are you and how much could you afford to self-insure (pay for it yourself if something happens)

JudithE Aug 20th, 2004 08:32 AM

The website that Petlover gave you is great to use. Do not go through AAA. They will give you Access America, which is top notch BUT they will tack on their fee. You can deal with the insurance company directly rather than do that if that is the company you choose. We had to use insurance once when my husband came down with stomach flu 6 hr. before we were to board the plane. I think it is well worth it. You should also check your own medical insurance policy to see what it will cover before purchasing trip insurance.
Do not buy more insurance than you need.

newyorkgolfer41 Aug 22nd, 2004 08:05 AM

If medical emergencies are your primary concern, American Express has a new medical emergency policy if one gets injured or becomes ill while traveling 150 miles or more from one's home during the first 31 days (wouldn't be in effect on the 32nd day of a cruise or vacation)

It Covers $100,000 for emergency medical and emergency dental treatment.

Covers you up to $100,000 for an emergency evacuation.

Has no deductible or out-of-pocket expenses.

Extends protection worldwide, unlike many traditional policies.

Pays for visitor's transp. to your bedside, anywhere in the world if you are hospitalized five days or more.

Can help you 24 hours a day via toll-free, worldwide assistance lien.

The annual fee is only $149 per couple. You can find out more: Travel Medical Protection Client Service at 1-800-297-2900. When I received this info in the mail, I couldn't sign up quick enough!

wtggirl Aug 27th, 2004 06:39 PM

The best travel insurance company is Travel Guard. www.travelguard.com.
But, they price according to age and total price of trip. So, sometimes it is less, sometimes more than the cruise line insurance. If you got a great price on the cruise, then cruise guard should be cheaper!

poss Aug 28th, 2004 12:36 PM

wtggirl: Thanks for replying. I looked at both Travelguard and the AAA trip insurance-- AAA came out significantly lower (policies fairly equal: one slightly better in one area;one slightly better in another). I would go with AAA--UNLESS I hear that they're not reliable. Would appreciate feed-back pro or con. Thank you.

BjorkChop Aug 30th, 2004 01:50 PM

Hello~

I work for AAA so I hope I can help. Make sure the policy that AAA sells is through Access America; that's the one I sell to my clients. I know that a major difference besides the amounts that are paid out is the medical insurance. If it's through Access America, the medical part should be a pre-paid insurance which is very beneficial since you don't have to put your hospital stay on a credit card and then wait to be reimbursed when you file a claim. All my clients have been very satisfied in using it. If you have anymore questions, just ask.

johnfasc Aug 30th, 2004 04:40 PM

We always go with TravelGuard. It covers just about everything, and covers for any pre-existing conditions if you buy it right away.
Price has always been lower than most and much more coverage for the money.