Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Transportation options around Miami and Ft Lauderdale

Jan 14th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

We will be staying with a friend in Parkland before our cruise out of Miami. It took well over an hour to get from the port to her house last time. She was driving. I do not want her to bother this time. I do not mind her picking us up at the airport, but do not want her going all the way to the Port.
So, options: to POM
Taxi from her house - probably around $80.00
Have her take us to one of the hotels where one of the shuttle services do pickups.
Rental car? Have not yet looked into total costs.
Change airports and fly into/put of Miami.
Other ideas

After cruise:
Shuttle from POM to FLL
Taxi?

After the cruise, we will go directly to the airport. It is cheaper to do RT out of Ft Lauderdale and I certainly like FLL more than MIA, which I really dislike. However, if using MIA seems better to anyone with more experience, please advise.
Jan 14th, 2015, 11:43 PM

I took a cruise out of Miami two years ago. I flew into Fort Lauderdale a few days earlier. I rented a midsized car at the airport -- I think from Budget or Dollar, I can't remember. But it was cheap, plus they had a branch downtown, about a mile or two from the port. So I just returned the car there rather than the airport and it worked out really well for me. Seems to me like a car might be your best option.
Jan 15th, 2015, 05:33 AM

SuperShuttle runs from the Port of Miami to FLL, so no worries there. Your cruise line will also provide direct buses. Look at which is cheaper and book it. You'll likely have to leave early for either.

Parkland may be too far from Miami for SuperShuttle. To be frank, I'd rent a car at FLL for the day on arrival and drop it off at the airport before the cruise. There should be a shuttle to the port from there (not sure if it's free or not). Or you could take a taxi.
Jan 15th, 2015, 10:20 PM

andrews9682, the budget downtown office is by the FLL cruise terminal.
And if you drop off rental car at MIA and rent from FLL, they will charge you a fee.

I will try super shuttle first and see if they will pick up at Parkland from the house. You can check it on-line or call their toll free number. If not, get back to FLL airport and take shuttle from there.
Jan 16th, 2015, 05:11 AM

I misunderstood your itinerary, so I said something the other day that isn't correct. There will NOT be a free shuttle from the Miami airport to the Port of Miami, and because of the probable drop-off fee, this probably isn't doable. I'd price this option just to be sure, however, because what you are charged will depend on the company. You could pick up and drop off at FLL and then take SuperShuttle (or your cruise's own bus) to the Port of Miami, but that wouldn't save you any time, obviously.
Apr 16th, 2015, 09:27 AM

For future travelers, Uber app is now popular in Miami and often cheaper than taxi. Uber is technically still illegal in Miami area but people use it all the time. If you need to be picked up from the Airport or port, here's a tip: after requesting your ride and memorized the car type, put away your phone and ride at the front (next to the driver)... don't make it obvious
Apr 16th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

We ended up using QLS, www.qualitylimoservice.com three times.
Once from POM to FLL, for a cruise in Jan, then once from our hotel in FT Lauderdale to POM from POM back to hotel in Ft Lauderdale, for a cruise in April. All three times, they were prompt, courteous, and reasonably priced. First rate! We would definitely use their services again.