transportation from houston to port of galveston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what have others done that didn't use the cruise line for this? we have 10 people and luggage? thanks
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 06:26 AM

Randy,

When faced with a similar problem from the DFW area, we rented a van from Hertz local and returned it in Galveston after leaving passengers and luggage at the pier.

But, it is not clear if Hertz, with its easy return to the cruise port, has reopened in Galveston. 18 months ago there was no one way drop charge, and, even with the cost of gas, it was the least costly way to get a large group to Galveston.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 03:06 AM

Several years ago when we cruised out of Galveston there was a transfer service by the luggage pickup at Houston. It was $50.00 per person roundtrip. We flew into Houston Hobby.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 06:17 AM

If you can fly into Hobby instead of IAH, it is some 15-30 min drive to pier. Taxi should cost around $40 total for 4, one way. From IAH, it is about 1.5 hours drive and price is higher accordingly. Cruise line transfers are always more expensive. If you find a van to fit all of you, you'll save $$. Even if you go with taxis, it will be cheaper and faster than cruise line transfers.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 09:48 AM

Since the hurricane Galveston car rental returns are closed. We will be leaving out of Galveston next month and are using Supper Shuttle out of Hobby airport, it runs $100. each way for 4 people and was the least expensive mode of transportation I found.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 11:24 AM

Bargain for a Limo....

We rented a stretch limo that picked up up in Houston and took us to Galveston /roundtrip. It was four years ago, but it seemed like the price was around $250. There was only three of us and gobs of room to lay out

. The luggage would be my concern. But even two stretches might be worthwile divided up.

And, isn't a stretch limo more fun!

Just google and get some ideas of companies. And don't be afraid to bargain.

We're going to DC in a few weeks didn't want to deal with a rental or with the Metro at 4am.

The limo company quoted $362.
I replied no. The web page asked what I would pay. I said $150.
They agreed! So you may have a better chance dealing with a private limo company over a shuttle/taxi.