Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Transportation From Gatewick Airport to London Hotel and from London Hotel to Dover

Search

Transportation From Gatewick Airport to London Hotel and from London Hotel to Dover

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are booked on the Celebrity Constellation cruise leaving from Dover on June 19, 2004 and are planning on staying in London one night pervious to going to Dover. We are considering booking hotel ourselves rather than go through Celebrity. Does anyone have information on cost and methods of transportation from Gatewick Airport to a London hotel, from hotel to Dover and from Dover to the cruise ship? Are the cost savings worth the inconvenience of handling transfers on our own? Also can anyone recommend a moderately priced centrally located hotel in London?
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 11:17 AM

Winkler:
In 2000 I sailed out of Dover on the Royal Princess. I made my own hotel and air plans. But I took the ship's transfers from the airport. I believe they were $120.pp for a round trip (driving it takes around 2 hrs. depending on traffic).

I might suggest that you stay near the airport and if you wish to go into London, just take the tube---very easy and cheaper than a shuttle, etc.( no luggage to lug around either).

Hotels are not cheap around London. Even 4 star hotels are not like four star hotel in the US (although not sure where you live)

I'm sure others will post further suggestions.

Enjoy your cruise--Celebrity is my favorite cruise line!!
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 09:49 AM

winkler--

KEEP IN MIND-Gatwick is a LOT farther from central London than Heathrow is.

There is a private car service called Ray Skinner- who is based in LONDON.
I got his name off the Fodors EUROPE Boards..He is very well known and tons of people use him....He also does PICK UP in DOVER!!

He can be reached at: London-Transfers.com
When you EMAIL Ray, ask him for his CELL PHONE number- and when you get into the airport ( if you cannot link up with him due to late flight arrival-call his cell phone!)

Swiss Cottage Cars recommended here frequently and it was at least 1/3 less than Ray Skinner.Swiss Cottage Phone is 011-44-207-431-2700. ( this was airport pick up /return-- I have no idea if they do DOVER)

The website for Swiss Cottage is www.swisscottagecars.com. The rate for airport pickup to central London is 34 pounds with half an hour waiting time allowed, after that waiting time is charged at 6 pounds per hour or part of. The rates for Swiss cottage is per car, each passenger allowed 1 piece of luggage plus a hand piece.

to find the prices on the website, click on "Bookings" and then click where it says, "Please click here for our price list (opens in a new window)".

3rd service:Just Airports (www.justairports.com). The service was very reliable and the drivers helpful. The rates were also better than Mr. Skinner's. ( again, this is airport pick up /return=no idea about Dover)

4th service: AirCars 2000 (aircars2000.co.uk for tel no.) offer a fantastic service; comfortable cars and exceptionally courteous and knowledgeable drivers ( again- airport pick up /return-no idea about Dover)

5th Service:
Central Chauffeur www.centralchauffeur.com not only do they have a toll free number to the Uk but the company is 24/7 and gives you the choice of vehicle. Plus they will take a US check!( again, aiport pick up/return-no idea about Dover)

6th- BUT NOT ADVISABLE with Luggage for Cruise:
Gatwick Express leaves you at Victoria Station where you still need to do tube or taxi

I would DEFINITELY do the transportation on my own--You will have your own car and be by yourselves...not stuck on a cattle car with 35 other people..These private services are usually equal to the CRUISE TRANSFER people...( We used a private service in Rome and it was ideal and the SAME price as the cruise transfers!)

Now, the big question, what do you call moderately priced hotel in London-- ?? Everyone has different budgets...

But there is a reasonable one in Kensington called the Kensington Hall..It is very good and includes breakfast and VAT ( taxes)...
You can do a web search for that - I do not have it listed in my notes...

Have a BLAST!
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Cruiser & Andy:

Thanks for your help.This is my first time posting a message. Andy your/ve given me a lot of options to consider.
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Andy: Thanks again. I know how to spell you've. Like I said, first time posting!
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 02:33 PM

Winkler- Have a great time..

Personally, if it were me, I would EMAIL all the car services and compare prices....I think , in the long run, Ray Skinner will be your best bet and also your most relaxed VS the cruise bus from hell..We have done it both ways in Europe on various Med cruises and the private car is way more preferable than stuck in a bus...

Also, the driver talks to you and you can possibly get a guided tour as you go to your hotel in London...

Here is one link for the Harrington Hall:
http://www.hotels-in-london-kensingt...tel-london.htm

and here is the DIRECT hotel link:

http://www.harringtonhallhotel.co.uk/
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 03:14 AM

Personally I would stay in the Dover area. There's alot to see in Kent. It's a beautiful shire.
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 11:01 AM

We used www.justairports.com last week from Heathrow to W1 and back, reliable service and better prices than Ray Skinner or Swiss Cottage. You can price airport transfers on their website (choose online bookings and select your airport, postcode, vehicle type, etc.) but you'll need to email them about Dover.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 01:52 PM

I did a similar cruise in 2001, flying in and out of Gatwick and the cruise out of Dover, with overnights in London both pre and post cruise. I would recommend what we did - just grab a train from Gatwick into London, and also to Dover the day of the cruise. We took an express train to Victoria Station, was very easy to do. We also bought our tickets to Dover at Victoria for the next day, no problems.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 04:07 AM

Jammy,
We are concerned about getting from London Victoria to Dover. (with luggage and the possibility of stairs)
Do you recall if you had any problem doing this? Which station goes directly to Dover? Gatwick Express is easy, but after that - do you have to transfer to another station?
Thanks,
Carol
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 02:39 PM

I too am booked on the Constellation's June 19 cruise and am concerned about transportation from Gatwick to Dover (since I am using Frequent Flyer airmiles and not Celebrity's booking service.)
When I reserved direct with Celebrity, I was told no problem, they had a shuttle. When I paid my fees, I was told they were "sold out" but don't worry, there were plenty of ways to get there.
I am travelling alone, and I am more than slightly handicapped - enuf that I do not want to be running around Gatwick hunting up rides after a long flight.
So, can someone tell me about "through" service to Dover, cost, etc.?
joan
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 06:03 PM

I sailed on the Constellation from Dover last August and really enjoyed spending the night before sailing in Dover at the Churchill Hotel with a wonderful view of the English Channel. A pedestrian path under the roadway allows you to walk from the shore to the downtown area of Dover to enjoy the cafes and bakeries, as well as to purchase last minute toiletries from Boots. I also enjoyed walking the White Cliffs, though that requires transportation to get to (I had a rental car that I drove from London and dropped in Dover). The castle is also a nearby attraction that can be enjoyed in the morning prior to boarding the ship.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 10:53 AM

Also traveling from London to Dover the day of our cruise, June 1. Does anyone know how "luggage friendly" the Victoria Station and the Dover Station are? Don't mind at all the train ride, and actually prefer this to the big bus, but are wondering if there are stairs to negotiate at either place. Or if there are porters for hire if needed. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 01:11 PM

We are also booked on cruise leaving from Dover May 22. Our plan is to rent a car from Gatwick and stay in Dover or the surrounding area.
Looking for suggestions of places to stay for the one night before boarding the Constellation.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 09:04 AM

Here is a web site that may prove helpful. I have take the Gatwick Express form the airport to London many times - always with luggage. For the savings it is well worth it. Also, if you want to stay near the airport and take the tube/train into London check out the Travel Inn at Gatwick. It is a UK chain and is always clean and will have a bar/restaurant there as well. You will find these hotels in London as well which might prove to be reasonable there. http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/pa...ondon_pass.htm
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 09:07 AM

Sorry... I found a better link for you. There is a direct train from Victoria Station (which is where the Gatwick Express takes you) to Dover. The fare is $35 per person ea way. This web site gives you the details. http://www.raileurope.com/cgi-bin/fs...mp;submit.y=11