Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Transportation between Port Everglades and Ft. Lauderdale, and rental car

Apr 28th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Just booked a cruise that departs from Ft. Lauderdale, and I am having a few questions:

1. what's a fast and not too expensive way to go to the port from the airport --- we have 4 adults and 1 kid, and probably some luggages.

2. after the cruise we probably want to rent a car to tour around the city for a day. Is there any rental car location right on the port? otherwise, how to get back to the airport?

3. has anyone used "payless" rent a car? Their price is cheap but is their location right in the airport? Or I have to take their shuttle for a long drive to get and return my car?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Apr 28th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Can't answer all of your questions, but I can tell you that I took a taxi from pier to airport, and the cost was $7.35!! I think it took less than 15 minutes (may have been on a Sunday morning though).

Now someone else can fill you in on car rental. Enjoy your cruise!!
Apr 28th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

I looked at the airport's webpage and saw the shuttle fare to the pier is 13/person which is pretty expensive for 5 people, but it seems taxi is not expensive at all. Thanks for the information.

Regarding the rental car, I guess I can get back to the airport by taxi first and rental a car there.

Thanks!
Apr 28th, 2007, 07:48 PM

At the airport, ask the taxi starter to hail you a van large enough for your party and luggage. The pier is only about ten minutes away. Fare is usually about $10, plus tip.

After the cruise, look for a taxi to take you to the rental car agency. The set-up at the airport is quite efficient for car rentals. If you're flying out later, you'll need to return the car there, so you might as well pick it up at the airport since it's close.

Just an observance... sometimes taxis can be hard to come by at Port Everglades and you might have to wait in a line to get one. If you get a porter inside the terminal to handle your luggage, they can often get you a taxi quicker. With four adults, a child, and luggage, you might require two cabs if a van isn't available.

Hope that helps.

Linda Coffman
Author, Fodor's The Complete Guide to Caribbean Cruises
Apr 30th, 2007, 08:34 AM

Just came back yesterday from our cruise. Princess charges $10 each way for fare between airport and Port Everglades. It cost us $18 including tip to and $15 from the airport. There was security check on the way the port, few minutes in line cost us extra $$.
May 6th, 2007, 10:40 AM

I live in ft lauderdale. The port and airport are very close. Cab fare will be less than $10. To rent your own car afterwards, you can go to any of the rental places along US1, all the major companies are there, it will be very easy. You'll just take a taxi there from the port, or perhaps they'll pick you up at your ship