Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Transfers between airport/San Juan..to purchase or not to?

Feb 6th, 1999, 09:54 AM
Diana

My husband are going on RCCL/Monarch on 4/11. First time. Is it worth the extra $24.00 per person for the round trip transfers from San Juan airport to the port or can we get a taxi just as easily? Anyone?

Feb 8th, 1999, 12:12 PM
Cassie

As a first-timer I'd suggest getting the transfers. San Juan is a CRAZY airport, very crowded and with poor signs. In addition, you cannot guarantee that you will get a cab driver who speaks English. For $24 you will be met at the gate by an RCCL rep who will make sure that you find your luggage, get on the right bus and get to the port. In addition, when you get back to San Juan, you will have less hassle getting back to the airport. You are learning that cruises are not as all-inclusive as you would like, but don't skimp. I've done 9 cruises and the only one I didn't enjoy was the one that didn't sell or arrange airport transfers - we had to find a cab at night, in the dark, not knowing just exactly where the ship was. In my opinion, not a good start to a relaxing vacation. If you want as little hassle as possible, I'd spring for the transfers.

Feb 12th, 1999, 07:01 AM
Anna

On your first cruise, I would highly recommend paying the extra money. It was a 20 or 30 minute ride (through not the nicest areas) from the airport to the cruise port, so I don't know if a taxi ride would save you much money. If we go on another cruise, I would pay for the round trip transfers in a second.

Feb 14th, 1999, 05:14 PM
Olga

Diana, By all means, get the transfers. Taxi's in San Juan don't come cheap and you don't need the hassle of picking up your luggage. With the ship's transfer, you don't bother with your luggage. It appears in your state room several hours after arrival. I would recommend packing your carry-on bag with anything you may need upon arrival. If you're arriving late in the afternoon, a change of clothes for dinner would be wise. Have a great cruise.

Feb 24th, 1999, 06:37 AM
Bob K.

Sunkat:
Yes, it pays - as for ships at San Juan piers, you do not know if it is one of the piers close by the Old City 1,2,3, etc., or if it is one of the piers up in the section known as Puerta de Tierra, close by the Hilton Hotel. On one trip, we were so used to docking at the Old City & this one trip we had relatives coming to meet us & yes, they were waiting where we told them we would dock & lo, on this ship we were up at the end of San Juan Harbor. Regulated taxi fare from airport is $17.00, without the tip.
Bob K.

Feb 24th, 1999, 07:16 AM
Bob K.

Sunkat:
Yes, it pays - as for ships at San Juan piers, you do not know if it is one of the piers close by the Old City 1,2,3, etc., or if it is one of the piers up in the section known as Puerta de Tierra, close by the Hilton Hotel. On one trip, we were so used to docking at the Old City & this one trip we had relatives coming to meet us & yes, they were waiting where we told them we would dock & lo, on this ship we were up at the end of San Juan Harbor. Regulated taxi fare from airport is $17.00, without the tip.
Bob K.