This site has the world's worst server!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else have trouble getting Fodor's to open? Sometimes it takes several minutes before the entire page loads.<BR><BR>Worse --- one can try to post and it just grinds away FOREVER!!! The post might or might not ever go. <BR><BR>Cruise boards are oft-frequented -- one can look at the time sequences of posts anyplace else and see that &quot;if they'll build it (a board that functions in a reasonable manner), they will come&quot;. <BR><BR>Presumably Fodor's wants a lively interchange of ideas -- wonder why they don't get their techies on the ball?
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:50 PM

yes-everytime in the last week-i've had to do it 2x. <BR><BR>what will happen to this one.<BR><BR>OK-guy work overtime!
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 04:49 PM

YES, I have been having lots of trouble getting everything to load.<BR>
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 04:54 PM

Don't worry - the long term prospects for this forum lasting is dismal at best. The number of posts/responses is down considerably from when they started registration. Many questions have 0 for responses and Paul has stopped posting!!!<BR><BR>Peter
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:21 PM

To Peter and Paul;<BR>Listen up you too!!<BR>Now, while there is still time , exchange mailing addresses, home e-mails or something so you can still badger back and forth after this site flops--do it now, hear???
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 07:47 AM

The site has been absolutely maddening since the registration began last Monday. It takes forever to switch from one post to another, from one board to another and to post anything. Did registration cause all this? I never cared one way or the other about registration, but if this is the outcome......I HATE IT!!!!
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 09:03 AM

It seems to be getting worse as this week progresses, too.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 12:03 PM

I sure hope it gets fixed soon.....this is terrible and just makes you want to go to other travel sites.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 02:17 PM

I agree. I have been gone for 10 days. I can see since this registration has begun, this site has changed drastically. I suppose in some ways it has improved but it seems somewhat dull not to mention difficult to post.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 05:22 PM
DE

TO ALL,<BR><BR>I contacted fodors registration to inform them of the present problem with the site and they responded quickly and assured me that they are working hard to rectifying the situation and thanked me (us) for our patience.

Old Feb 5th, 2003, 05:44 AM

DE - by the present problem, you probably mean the slow response time and multiple replies. What about the site's content? Did you ask them if they're going to fix that too? Thats a much bigger problem. Paul, where did you go? Let me know so I can change sites.<BR><BR>Peter
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 08:31 AM

As with anything new there is going to be a knee jerk reaction. Programming is not always a science, but an art. bugs have to be worked out from any changes and that can take some time. Be patient I'm sure they will work it out.<BR><BR>I am glad they have instituted registration. It has cut down almost all the childish negative response we have had in the past on this website.<BR><BR>This change has positively changed the replies now made. <BR><BR>Until you have done IT work or software programming then you really should reserve your comments concerning the operation of this website to yourself.<BR><BR>Knowledge is a helpful tool. A little knowledge is dangerous.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 12:49 PM
DE

FOR Peter Pumpkineater ( catchy name )<BR> Yes I was only referring to the problems with the major delays on the site. I figure that fodors needs to deal with one problem at a time. After the site starts operating properly then maybe other issues and concerns from users can be addressed.

Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:22 PM

I have dsl and the site works perfect, may be your isp causing the trouble not fodor's. Buck
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 05:10 AM

Excellent job Fodor's. I like the link you have set up to our names showing what we have posted.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 06:42 PM

I hate to tell you but usually the problem with slow sites is not the site. It is either your ISP or the routers that no one really knows exist. These are hubs that just move info around the web.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Gotta give credit where credit is due ---<BR><BR>Seems the site problems have been cleared up ... the page opens at normal speed, clicking on a thread gets a fairly rapid response and (I think) the posts are going out promptly.<BR><BR>Perhaps it DID all have to do with changes stemming from the registration thing ... I dunno ... but during the worst of it, I could try to post and my little Juno signal would sit there swinging back and forth for as long as 15 minutes, before I'd finally give up and close it. <BR><BR>That seems to be resolved -- hooray!<BR><BR>A comment, though, registration has certainly &quot;dulled down&quot; the content. I think a lot of us logged on to snicker at the outrageous posts that were mixed in with meaty content. It's very ho-hum now.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 05:34 AM

Hate to say this but I prefer the &quot;Ho Hum&quot; over the nasty name calling that used to be so prevalent on this web site.<BR><BR>I would suggest going to a chat web site for travelers if you want the nasty banter that this web site was more known for than helpful info.<BR><BR>Again, I applaud Fodors for taking the &quot;Plunge&quot;. Now when someone asks a relevant question they get a more civil answer.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 07:07 AM

Hey Techydude - Do you really believe that registration has eliminated the sometimes nasty and vindictive tone of some posters? Read through the current thread about wearing white jeans to dinner. Nothing has changed, except there are fewer posts and it has become noticeably boring around here.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 07:36 AM

Hi Lenore, Yes I do! There still will be some residual current of unpleasantry, but that can be weeded out over time.<BR><BR>I would much rather see Fodor's elminate a single poster rather than the whole post. Kind of the old adage of throwing the baby out with the dirty bath water does not need to be done anymore.<BR><BR>Yes it may be a little mundane initially but once people realize what the boundaries are things will pick up again.