Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   The SHOT? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/the-shot-282698/)

Dave Dec 29th, 2002 10:23 AM

The SHOT?

Any info on the shot for motion sickness? Can you get it before you sail, how long does it last.....<BR>HELP!!

man Dec 31st, 2002 04:47 AM

Never found a doctor in the UK who would give it before a cruise. I believe it lasts one week and costs approx $35, worth every cent I am told.

James Jan 1st, 2003 09:22 PM

What exactly is in the injection?

nurse Jan 2nd, 2003 06:34 AM

They give you Phenergan on the ships for sea sickness. It is an anti-emetic often used for morning sickness in pregnant women, and vomiting for children and adults alike. For some reason, when you are sea sick, you get the shot, feel like hell for about two hours (it makes you very sleepy, but you need to stay on deck, or you will be sicker), then you don't need another one...the affect sticks w/you for the week. Seen it work like a charm! However, if you take Dramamine, Bonine or use the patch before you get sick, you shouldn't need Phenergan (it is a painful, burning injection).

gail Jan 2nd, 2003 07:01 AM

Don't know about &quot;the shot&quot;, but if it is Phenergan I can not imagine a pharmacological reason it would last for days or a week - the medication just does not last that long in ones system - unless there is time-released version I have never heard of. <BR><BR>When one is vomiting or very sick to ones stomach, an injection often makes sense since one would just vomit up an oral medication. <BR><BR>Am not sure why, beforehand, you would feel the need for an injection. Patches, over-the-counter, or even prescription medication really works fine for almost everyone. (Some recent research that I read indicates there is no real reason to put the patch behind your ear - it is slowly absorbed into the bloodstream, so many other less visible locations work just fine.)

Jimbo Jan 2nd, 2003 09:36 AM

According to www.RxMed.com, Phenergan injectable: &quot;Antiemetic: 12.5 to 25 mg every 4 to 6 hours as needed. . . . Do not exceed 100 mg daily.&quot;<BR>

Linda Jan 12th, 2003 02:16 PM

Dave,<BR>I was really sick on a South American cruise with Bronchitis, then developed sea sickness as well. The ship's doctor gave me the shot (told me she takes them herself) It worked like a charm and I wasn't sleepy all the time like I usually am on Bonine. My cruise lasted at least another week after I got the shot and I had no more problem with sea sickness. Maybe your doctor at home might give it to you the day before you leave. The ship's doctor is not cheap. Though well worth it if you're really sick. They put the charges on our room bill. Fortunately my health insurance reimbursed most of the $800.00 plus charges when we got home. Sorry I can't remember how much the charge would be just for the doctors office visit and an injection.<BR>Hope you don't need one.<BR>Linda