the new Royal Caribbean menu 2013

Jun 14th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

the new Royal Caribbean menu 2013

To all the RCL cruise lines fans ('cos I am not - here's the new Royal Caribbean food menu http://www.shipcruise.org/royal-cari...-room-service/ This is the RCL's 2013 main dining room menu available on most of their ships - the link has all ships on which it is already implemented. Most of the dishes names there sound like Martian to me, but I bet they are so so so very delicious )
Jun 15th, 2013, 06:33 AM

Thanks again for the link. Looks pretty good I think though the surcharges for the lobster, surf and turf etc. seems quite high to me.
Jun 15th, 2013, 08:16 AM

I have to say that it is discouraging to have to pay extra for a decent meal, and I'll bet the cruise fee has not dropped to account for the Uncle Fred's Family Pancake House type menu. I'll skip RCI and maybe all the others. Seems to me that the food has taken a big hit on cruises.
Jun 15th, 2013, 01:02 PM

Last yr. on the Equinox the food was very good. In fact the buffet was the best we've seen in our 10 cruises overall. I do agree that cruise food isn't what it was say 15-20 yrs. ago but then again the prices are lower too.

As for food on cruises being like a family style pancake house I completely disagree. Just look at the menu offered above. Not even close.
Jun 17th, 2013, 05:57 AM

On paper, the menu is not bad. In reality, as one might expect, it all comes down to execution. I was just on the Enchantment and the food in the main hall was on par with a low end buffet in Las Vegas. The Royal Shrimp Cocktail was served room temperature and the shrimp was mushy. The Prime Rib was also room temp and was as bad as I have ever experienced. The food quality in the Chops restaurant was good, but there was an extra cost to eat there.
Jun 24th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Ah, the golden truths about the free dinner and the kiss before the fu...fun - both coming to mind simultaneously
Oct 19th, 2013, 02:34 PM

We hear a lot about the drop off in food quality on cruise lines. We only started cruising in 2009, so we haven't noticed a big change, however, we have to accept that it has never been more affordable to cruise than it is now. I guess these companies have to balance the costs somehow. I must say that our 6 cruises to date have never presented dining problems, and both my wife and I have been very satisfied with our experiences. We are so looking forward to trying our next RCI cruise in 3 weeks from today.
Oct 21st, 2013, 10:30 AM

Cruising is still a huge value. I am just of an RCCL transatlantic and the itinerary was excellent. Since we recognize that the food has gone down (in most lines IMO) we dined in speciality restaurants for the first half of the cruise and then lunched in specialty restaurants for the second half. This allowed us to upgrade our meals for a small additional cost.

We have been cruising for about 20 years and the prices we pay today (on mainstream lines) are not much different and sometimes cheaper than what we paid 10 years ago. Naturally something has to give...
Oct 21st, 2013, 11:01 AM

The surcharge in main dining is something new, and I'm not a huge fan of it, and that does seem like a lot. There's been a fair amount of speculation that the industry is going to be headed in that direction. I'll be interesting to see what success they have with it.