Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   The Contract You Sign When You Check In Online (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/the-contract-you-sign-when-you-check-in-online-1652855/)

rjgdjg May 5th, 2018 08:43 AM

The Contract You Sign When You Check In Online

We’re so excited when we check in online. We can’t wait to get the must-do done, so we can get on to what’s really fun. Like picking excursions. Deciding on drink packages. Shopping!

So, how closely do we look at that cruise contract we electronically sign?

After mechanically acknowledging I’ve read it for the past 20+ cruises, I finally decided that maybe I should take a look at that fine and tiny print after all.

All 14½ pages of it (when copied and pasted into my computer).

Here’s just a sampling of what I just agreed to on my upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise:

If I go to the onboard doctor, I do so at my own risk. Since RCI is not a medical provider, it can’t supervise the medical personnel.

Hate the haircut I get onboard? I’m on my own. If I change my mind after getting the photo package or am overcome with buyer’s remorse after that art auction purchase or the expensive bracelet I buy on the ship breaks when I get home, even though RCI may get a cut from any of it, they assume no responsibility.

Was disappointed with my excursion? Too bad, so sad. Like the onboard shops, medical folks or photographers, argues RCI, the excursions are independent contractors and don’t represent the cruise line.

RCI can change my trip at any time. The cruise line retains the right to alter the itinerary, time of sailing or even the ship for any reason at any time and without prior notice.

Luggage with a view. My baggage is subject to inspection or electronic monitoring without my consent or knowledge.

They own my cruising face. RCI reserves the right to use photos or videos of me taken in connection with the cruise for advertising, sales, publicity and training. Until the end of time.

Indeed, there were some surprises in that lengthy document. Does it dampen in any way my excitement for the cruise ahead? Not one little bit. But what reading it did prove: it’s best to know before you go. - Musing About Cruising

Melnq8 May 5th, 2018 08:25 PM

Never have been interested in cruises. And having read your post, it's highly unlikely I ever will!

tch912 May 7th, 2018 09:52 AM

Still cruising

I have been on five cruises and have plans for a new year one. I agree, cruising is not for everyone.

fmpden May 7th, 2018 12:10 PM

That is pretty standard stuff and very similar to any disclaimer statement you have ever signed. So OK, what is your alternative? So the cruise company can never make a change in the route regardless of the reason? Airlines change equipment all the time without notice. Every time you check luggage it is screen without your presents. So what is different with the cruise ship? When the weather is bad, airlines often land at a different airport without much notice. If you didn't understand all of that before, welcome to the world of travel and things you cannot control.

Sassafrass May 7th, 2018 04:26 PM

Fmpden, you are so right. It is part of travel.

No more than 10 minutes in the air on a flight from Norfolk, VA to NYC when they announced we were going to Cincinnati. I was ticked because they were surely considering changes before take off, but nothing I could do. Terrible Summer storms in Cincinnati kept us grounded for several hours. Then they had to change crew.

Due to a major snow storm, a flight from Milan to Dublin was delayed, then re-routed to Cork and passengers were taken by bus, at night in the middle of a storm, to Dublin. DH and I decided there was no way we would do that, and stayed in Cork.

I have been delayed a number of times on Amtrak, once for hours in order to take on passengers from another train that had broken down. Read the things in Amtrak's contracts!

All these rules, etc. are true in business too. Read every line of the paper work the mortgage company includes that you must agree to in order to get a mortgage and you may feel you have sold your soul.

Anyway, cruise or not, personal preference. All the written stuff is irrelevant. If you want to go, you sign it. If you want a loan, you sign the required paper work.

We gave done two cruises already this year and hoping for another at end of Summer, I think 11 total now, so not that many and certainly not as many as we would like. Where do I sign?

fmpden May 7th, 2018 05:58 PM

A couple of years ago we contracted for a new house to be built. After signing the purchasing agreement we were ask to sign about 30 addendum. After I read each one, I said to myself, "Yep, I could see where that could be a problem." So I signed away my right to do anything about it.