Do not use United Limo Service to Bayonne NJ

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2010, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I used this service from Newark to Bayonne cruise terminal. The quoted price was $35.00 but part way there they raised the price to $50 plus taxes, tolls and tip. The car itself was hardly a "limo". It was old and beat up with dents and scratches all over it. Not a great way to start our curise and celebrate my wife's birthday. They threatened to keep our luggage until we paid.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 05:34 AM

I would contact the Better Business Bureau for New Jersey.

I assume you got a quote from them in writing? I assume you also got the names of the driver and the person you spoke with? If so, then I suggest you contact the Essex County, NJ prosecutors office.

If you paid with a credit card I would dispute the charge.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 07:23 AM

If you got a price quote online or on the phone and the company did really change prices on you mid-stream, then you should have showed your confirmation with price to someone at the cruise port and disputed the matter with the driver. If that wasn't possible, then the next best option is to report the company to the better business bureau and the port authority of New York and New Jersey. If you paid by credit card and have a written confirmation, then you should file a dispute immediately. You must do this within 30 days.

But if you have just a verbal quote or if you just picked up the car service outside of baggage claim without making prior arrangements (which is illegal), then you are pretty much out of luck. I'd still report the company to the better business bureau since it's a licensed limo company in NJ.

So-called "limo" service is rarely done by actual limousine; it's a car service, and the cars are almost always sedans in the NYC metro area. Plus, you would never ever get a real stretch limousine for either $35 or $50. This is not a surprise and should not be mentioned in any complaint; it will just decrease your believability.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I did get a firm quote via e-mail and referred to it during my discussions. i have launched a complaint with the better business bureau. I did not expect a stretched limo for that price. I did expect them to live up to what their website advertises which is a clean and good condition Lincoln and not a beat up old car that was worse than your average cab. The driver was not friendly or helpful nor was his supervisor who both barely spoke English (no surprise). To change the price en-route is simply a tactic to screw tourists. I don't think the end price was unreasonable I am just upset by their tactics and ethics. The rest of the people we met in New York and in NJ were terrific. Friendly, helpful and in some cases went completely out of their way to provide assistance. it is a shame that one encounter such as this can detract from an otherwise great experience.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 07:52 AM

For anyone who pulls up this topic, please be aware there is no reason to hire a limo company to take you from Newark
Airport to Bayonne.

Cabs are plentiful at the airport and there is a set price. There are credit card machines at the cab stand in all three terminals that authorize an amount and you give the driver slip that you fill out similar to a check.

The cab fare should be in the $30 range. The taxi dispatcher will give you a slip with the set price. There may be an extra charge of a few dollars for luggage and you will have to pay the toll on the New Jersey Turnpike. Assuming normal traffic, the ride should be no more than 20 to 30 minutes.