Taking my son's teenage friends

Old May 25th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking my son's teenage friends

Hello,
My son's teenage two friends (16 yrs.old) would like to join us on our upcoming cruise (Carib.Princess)in August. My husband and I would love to have them, we know their respective parents and my son is delighted.
For those of you who experienced this temporary guardianship what do I need to do/take with me in terms of paperwork? Was it a hassle? what problems did you encounter?
I appreciate your input. thanks.
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:04 AM

1. Make sure you have a letter from their parents giving you permission to seek medical treatment for their son. It should have the travel dates on it and a xerox copy of their health care card.

2. Get a notarized letter of parental consent from the parents giving their child permission to travel outside the U.S. without them. Again make sure the travel dates are on it.

3. Have fun.
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:05 AM

And be sure each cabin has an adult over the age of 25 in it.

When you book your cruise also double check all of the legal info you are receiving from the forums. Better safe than sorry!

And, have a great time!!
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

thank you both for your kind replies.
I think I'm going to have a problem as we are already booked and both boys are going to be under a new booking sharing a cabin; I will check with my travel agent.
I appreciate your responses.
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:20 AM

My husband and I have taken our kids with friends 3 times but we had to make the reservation with one of us in each cabin. They will not let you board without someone over 25 registered in each cabin unless they are married. Since there were only 2 of us over 25, we could only get 2 cabins and had to put all 4 kids in the same cabin. Once you're on board, there's no problem switching cabins as long as the kids don't misbehave and draw attention to themselves. We had both friends have notorized papers saying we were able to seek medical help for them and that they could leave the country with us. Have a blast. We found that to be the best way for every family member to have a great time. My husband and I loved it because we were with them at dinner and the ports but we all had our freedom in between. Marianne
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:25 AM

No cruiseline will book cabins without an adult in them. If you are outside of final payment- just change the cabins and split up your husband and you in different cabins. Once on board- simply change rooms. You will need to be VERY specific with what you are going to allow the kids to do. It will also be helpful if you prepare the kids for dining and let them know what you expect in terms of manners etc.. Be sure to have the notorized statements from BOTH parents with the above information.
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Yesterday I called Princess and was given this information to have an adult with them in the cabin. Since we are already booked the cabin available is not located on our deck and is "guaranteed". I will work something with my travel agent and see if they can switch us around.

I greatly appreciate all your input.
Old May 28th, 2004, 02:31 AM
Singletail

What's the money situation going to be like? Is this ship "cashless" and if it is, what sort of pre-arranged spending limits will there be, if any?

How many times have we seen the frustrated parents with that bewildered, "How could they POSSIBLY have spent this much money"? look on their faces riffling through scads of charge pages that turned up under the door...
Have a great cruise!