Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Tahiti Anyone? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/tahiti-anyone-498365/)

Shrink Jan 25th, 2005 01:31 PM

Tahiti Anyone?

In the early planning stages of a trip to Tahiti maybe this summer. Unsure about whether we should fly there and do a hotel thing visiting a couple of islands or cruise on the Paul Gauguin (Radisson). Any experiences in this area (positive or negative) would be appreciated. Thanx.
Shrink

millemar Jan 25th, 2005 01:52 PM

We went on the Paul Gaugin in July 2001 and it was awesome!! We added on 4 nights at the Bora Bora Lagoon Resort which was also great - stay in one of the over the water bungalows. Moorea has more to do and is more scenically striking than Bora Bora, but it is also more commercialized. The cruise gave us a chance to see both and we did not regret choosing Bora Bora for our extra stay. Service, food, and the ship itself were very nice on the Paul Gaugin.

Shrink Jan 26th, 2005 05:58 AM

mille
How long was your trip in days? Did you fly into Papeete or elsewhere? and was your extended stay in Bora Bora after leaving the ship? Thanks for your response.
Shrink

colonelwes Jan 26th, 2005 09:25 AM

shrink, we choose two weeks on the PG scheduled for this March, because of the glowing comments about this cruise
vis-a-vis a land stay (too expensive, food not as good, etc.,) altho we are doing a one night pre cruise to get acclimated. Defintely recommend the PG and if you do it in combination of a pre/post..recommend a pre stay...as many veteran cruisers say you will be spoiled by the PG experience...here is a good review FYI

http://www.brownandkeenetravel.com/R...iti_KathyZ.htm

nss4704 Jan 30th, 2005 08:12 AM

Have been to Tahiti 3 times all by ship.
the food and room cost are very high on land a over water room costs about 600 to 800 a night without meals!!
Considering the distance traveled to get there I suggest the new princess cruises of 10 day. every other week they alternate 10 day destinations. Thje cost at travel-zoo or vacations to go is about 15 to 1800 per 10 day cruise. You could then to 2 back to back cruises see Roatonga,Bora,Moorea, Raitia,Marqusea, Rangaroa... and more.
the list is 2800 per person for each but the web site I listed will get you 45 to 50% off.
This will be the last season the Paul Gaugin will operate in Tahiti...Radisson is selling her to an other company. The best bang for the buck is Radissons 10 day cruise.
But in terms of what you see and doing it on a lesser ship the 2-10 days on princess can't be beat....
There is another option.. the Radisson Mariner will sail from Aukland to LA in November 05 for 19 days,going through all the islands enroute for 4800 per person.... thats a steal

Louise Jan 30th, 2005 09:54 AM

Another option which probably won't appeal to everyone is a 16 day cruise through the Marquesa Islands on the Aranui starting and ending in Papeete (www.aranui.com) It is a freighter but is brand new and built with tourists in mind and some staterooms have balconies. The staterooms actually look very nice. Just depends what you like but I prefer small ship cruises and have booked for October.

newyorkgolfer41 Jan 31st, 2005 10:06 PM

The Paul Gaugan will be cruising the islands through 2006. I would definitely opt for this ship over the Tahitian Princess (formerly with Renaissance line). There was no comparison in my opinion. You're in for a treat. The ship is really booking quickly though since word is out that it's now or never. The French Polynesian islands are outrageously expensive if you're looking at a pre or post cruise stay.

roomiec Feb 1st, 2005 05:28 AM

Shrink,
We will be on the PG July 23 for 7 days. I thought about the pre or post stay at one of the "land-over" hotels, but thought it would be a bit similar in feel to the cruise I would be about to take...or just come off of. Also, the $$$ were a consideration.
What we are going to do, and I don't know if this will work for you, is arrive in SanFran about 4 days early and do the Napa Valley. RSSC will get us from SF to LA for the flight to Tahiti.
Either way, the PG should be incredible!!