Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Table for 2? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/table-for-2-a-238834/)

Curious Jul 12th, 2002 03:34 AM

Table for 2?

We are planning a 14 day cruise and trying to decide on a large table or table for 2. <BR><BR>What are your experiences? Thank you

Rick Jul 12th, 2002 03:37 AM

If you do not like to hear people complain, get a table for two.

GreasedPalm Jul 12th, 2002 06:02 AM

14 days is alot of days. Try for a table for 2 but they are hard to come by. Frequently a well placed $20 will do the job.

Shipman Jul 12th, 2002 06:07 AM

Greased palm is a dork. He is just showing that he has NEVER cruised. All ships prohibit the matre d' from accepting tips on the first day of the cruise. so slipping him a $20 will not work.<BR><BR>Nice idea, but things that work for greased palm in a fancy restaurant on land will not work on a ship.

GreasedPalm Jul 12th, 2002 06:52 AM

Hey Shipman, who said anything about the first day? You quietly make your request after the first evening's dinner, with money visible. Works like a charm.<BR><BR>Besides, you can't even spell Maitre'd, so how would you know anything about getting a good table? Go and sit at a nice large table near the kitchen doors, at the early seating, that's where you belong.<BR>

Mandy Jul 12th, 2002 08:48 AM

Depends...do you want to meet people? If not, get a table for two. <BR><BR>We have met many people whose company we enjoyed not only at dinner, but in the lounges, on tour, etc. Perhaps we have been lucky, but we find that being at a large table has enhanced our vacation experience.<BR><BR>However, on our honeymoon we went to a resort where no one spoke English, and we didn't care.

Abe Jul 12th, 2002 03:07 PM

If you want a table for 2 and other nice things in life, you have to pay for them and get off those horrible mass market ships. Spend some of your money and try Silversea. Table for 2 ??????? No Problem<BR><BR>To be honest, not only do I want a table for 2, but I don't want to sit near another table and have to overhear people taking about their grandchildren, their car or their hair. That is why the dining room staff on Silversea know to give up a quiet corner table for lunch and breakfast. For dinner, I am more flexible as the dining room is more full.

Paul Therault Jul 13th, 2002 11:34 PM

I find that passengers that are shy will request a table for two. Also loners that do not know how to make conversation. Sometimes honeymooners.<BR><BR>You can always eat in a restaurant at home and sit by yourselves.<BR><BR>I find passengers that wish to have a lot of fun will wish to eat at a table for 8 or 10. <BR><BR>And please, do not tip the maitre d' (that's Maitre d'hotel) unless he does you a favor and that tip will be given at the end of the cruise. It is his job to grant your request if at all possible.<BR><BR>Enjoy,<BR><BR>Paul

loner Jul 14th, 2002 10:01 AM

Not everyone who wants a table for two is shy or lonely.<BR>My wife and I both work with the public and when we cruise, we simply want to have some time for ourselves.<BR>After months of listening to and dealing with people's problems we like to have a table for two.<BR>So when you are on a cruise and see a couple at a table for two, don't automatically think they are shy, lonely or anti-social.

One Jul 14th, 2002 11:32 AM

One other possibility when you see a table for two. They're alcoholic and don't want to be doing all their drinking in front of others.<BR><BR>I've noticed this on many occasions.

Eric Jul 14th, 2002 01:04 PM

I too was offended by his quick judgment of those who want a table for 2. I am not shy. I enjoy the company of my partner and have no desire eat dinner with people I do not know. I will chat with other now and then, but do not feel the need to conform to Paul's or Carnival's definition of enjoying a cruise.

Paul Therault Jul 14th, 2002 02:37 PM

It's not a quick judgement. I have learned this from experience. <BR><BR>I am speaking of the minority.<BR><BR>Definitely if you do not spend much time with your partner it is the time to get to know each other and talk about the things you have missed. Same with couples who have just met. Others wish to have a romantic evening but in a main dining room it is impossible. Alternative restaurants will do just fine.<BR><BR>You see if most passengers wished a table for two there would be a majority of tables for two in the dining room.<BR><BR>So, if your particular cruise line does not offer the requests in advance, see the maitre d' as soon as you board the ship.<BR><BR>Paul<BR><BR>

ERic Jul 14th, 2002 02:48 PM

It is not impossible to get a table for 2 in the main dining room if you book on the better ships. On Carnival, God forbid, it probably is impossible because you have they cater to the mass market where individual preferences are placed second to accomodating thousands of people quickly and easily.

michaelbuttons Jul 27th, 2002 10:23 PM

This is one more strange social question. When traveling one accepts the norm in the area you occupy. Paul, again, is there first. There are very few tables for two on the best ships. You will learn nothing socked away by yourself in a corner. Anytime a tablemate is not to your liking you can simply change the view or some other polite ruse. I am American by choice but, by God, you guys do think you own the world and the space you travel within. I have met some grand travelmates and a few sour apples. Your trip is not ruined by any of these small problems, all can be remedied easily on board. To the person who asked should he have a table for two - maybe he should charter the ship. These ships are all so large now that privacy is not craved, it is forced upon you. They are largely empty throughout the day. One wonders where the passengers go.

xxx Jul 27th, 2002 11:04 PM

Which cruise line are you taking? When we sailed RCCL there weren't any tables for two. Even though we requested a large dining table we ended up with small. If you're lucky, you'll be placed next to a group that doesn't speak English. Otherwise, we usually ate at the all-day dining or room service. My husband works very long, hard hours and is usually so tired by the time we travel that he doesn't have the energy to socilaize. Best wishes ; )