QM2 CRUISE - SEPTEMBER

Search

QM2 CRUISE - SEPTEMBER

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QM2 CRUISE - SEPTEMBER

My husband and I are taking the transatlantic cruise on the QM2 from Southampton to NYC. It is my "treat" for end of treatments for ovarian cancer. I am cancer free for now (had my last chemo in July) and really looking forward to this trip! My husband and I are cruise ship history buffs, especially the old liners. We have cruised on the Norway, Independence and the newer ships. (By the way, you might want to update your topics list, as American Hawaii Lines do not exist anymore.)

My question for anyone out there is what to wear to the Ascot Ball. I understand hats are involved, but other than that, I don't know what it involves. I also understand that the Ascot Ball is related in some way to the Ascot races in England? Any hints would be appreciated. Is anyone else sailing on the September 24th crossing?

Angel1955
Oregon, USA

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 07:10 AM

Sorry nobody is answering you Angel.
I havent cruised with Cunard before,just P&O, but have read in the brochures about the Ascot Ball. I think this will be about dressing for royal Ascot so it will be fancy hats and floaty dresses maybe?
I think you deserve a treat after what youve been through so hope you have a splendid holiday!
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 10:28 PM

Hi,

The Ascot Ball is held on a formal night. Some of the ladies wear fancy hats and late in the evening they have a Hat Parade and give a prize for the most stylish hat--usually the winner is a lady who's "decorated" her hat. If you'd like to see a photo of the winner on my crossing this summer, my review begins at http://cruisediva.com/qm2_crossing_diary.htm and the picture is in part 3. She had cut picture of QM2 from brochures and attached them to her hat.

We also had a Black & White Ball on our first formal night--everyone was asked to dress in either black or white.

I hope that helps.

Best, Linda Coffman
Author, Fodor's The Complete Guide to Caribbean Cruises
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Back from QM2 cruise September 24-30. It was everything I hoped it would be...just what the doctor ordered! I felt great, and ate a ton of food, and didn't gain any weight! I won the Ascot Ball hat contest, thanks to everyone who helped me with information.

The only thing I might want to change is disembarkation. Four hours waiting to get off the ship, but wasn't too bad. I didn't care for getting up at 4am though!

Angel
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 08:05 AM
katybird

So glad you had a great time and congrats on winning the Ascot Ball hat contest. What was the prize? Any photos of your hat??
Most of all how wonderful you are cancer free! What a wonderful way to celebrate!!