Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for outside companies from whom to purchase cruise insurance?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 07:46 AM
just

I just received a quote for a cruise from cruisequick.com which was substantially lower than any other quote I received. I noticed, however, that insurance was not included. Their insurance seemed kind of high. Can I purchase insurance from an outside agency for my Carnival cruise? Any suggestions? It's a 5 day cruise for 7 people (3 adults, 3 kids, 1 infant).

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 08:25 AM
Sandy

When I buy insurance (not often, as I don't usually make any plans ahead of time except airfare), I use Travelguard. They are inexpensive, they have several plans, and their reps are nice and polite. I have used them several times and they have let me change my coverage and plans. <BR><BR>They have a website, www.travelguard.com.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 11:24 AM
ParrotMom

TravelGuard is paying the extra expenses on an accident I've just had on a ship and theirprices are reasonable.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 04:21 PM
Theresa

We have used Access America several times in the past. They pay all their claims within 10 days of receiving proper paperwork.<BR><BR>We had to cancel a cruise due to my mom having bypass surgery. We received payment very promptly after sending the doctor's note in.<BR><BR>Other companies are Travelex and TravelGuard. If you have pre-existing conditions - you may need to purchase the insurance within 7-14 days of deposit to cover the pre-existing conditions.<BR><BR>Here is a good website for travel insurance:<BR><BR>http://www.insuremytrip.com/

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 09:54 PM
Paul Therault

Access America is very reasonable and a great company. CSA is also terrific for family rates. Both top notch companies.<BR><BR>Travelguard is a little iffy. I know of two legitiment claims that were not paid. Also their so-called &quot;collect phone number&quot; will not work in the Caribbean.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:08 PM
Julie

We are booked through cruisequick.com and there are several things I like about this insurance company (Assured, I think is the name of it). Primarily, I like that you don't need to decide to insure or not 7-14 days ahead of time to cover pre-existing conditions. You can decide/pay at the time of the final payment (in our case on NCL it is 60 days). If we were to cancel prior to 60 days we get 100% of our money back anyway so no need for insurance. Also, they don't have the clause about pre-existing conditions like some others. When I worked out our rate it was actually less than several of the other companies mentioned on this thread for the coverage we need (mostly interested in trip cancellation not all the other things covered). The rates they give via cruisequick are LESS than their standard published rates. You can contact them at 1-800-236-0079 with any specific questions. It seems to work out the best for our needs than the other companies I've researched.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:13 AM
Paul Therault

Julie, it sounds like you do not really understand pre-existing medical conditions and exclusions.<BR><BR>You should talk to someone that would compare a few policies for you. You may be purchasing a policy and feel secure until you have a problem and try to collect. Do they cover for terrorist activities? Do they cover bankruptcy of the cruise line or airline or travel agency?<BR><BR>It is very difficult to understand all the variables of insurance policies. For peace-of-mind do not let a company talk you into buying their insurance whether reasonable or expensive.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:06 AM
Julie

Paul, as I said...this is what worked best for us and our primary concerns. I did quite a bit of research and price comparisons and found this to be the best for our needs. I had lengthy conversations with quite a few reps from various companies before deciding.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 12:11 AM
Paul Therault

Hi Julie,<BR><BR>I was just trying to make a point. It took me days to compare all companies, their rates and coverages. It's like buying tires.<BR>For example, there are some companies that cover terrorists incidences but all have different limits such as which countries are you covered for and what is the time element. Some companies will cover bankruptcy but some limit the companies that they will cover, etc. etc. It's really crazy. Homeowners insurance used to be a breeeze years ago but now you have to really understand what you are buying.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paul, I got a very good rate quote from Travelguard, which is the same company that Cruise.com uses, although I got considerably less than what the TA quoted me, although it seems to have the same coverage. Is the rest all commission? I got the best quote from CSA. Half of the price of cruise.com. It doesn't sound like I could go wrong with CSA. Do you agree?
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 09:03 AM

Thanks to all the hints just got a good rate at Access.. Some cruise companies go by age..wonder if that is discriminatory..
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 09:19 AM

Check out: www.insuremytrip.com
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 09:46 AM

I would expect travel insurance rates to change with age, just as life insurance rates do. The likelihood that a 91 year old would development health problems and require trip cancellation is much greater than a 21 year old.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 10:51 AM

Has anyone used Travelinsured.com? It seems that they cover carrier bankruptsy and default for a very reasonable price and their premium is competative with CSA.