Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for first cruise for mum,dad, two children under 3, from Toronto, Canada

Search

Suggestions for first cruise for mum,dad, two children under 3, from Toronto, Canada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2004, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and husband are considering a cruise and I (grandmother) may go along to help (a first for me too).

Suggestions would be appreciated:

1. cruise for young family (not Disney)
2. how to find best buys.
3. good destinations with children
4. average rates, not luxury
5. not too formal

and information would be helpfu;.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 04:56 PM

Wow! That is such a broad question. Being a grandmother myself, and loving my grandkids as I do, I STILL wouldn't want to go on a cruise with two children under 3. When I have my grandchildren to look after, I find that they and I are happiest with regular schedules, familiar surroundings, not too much stimulation. I have both left my young children with their grandparents and aunts And looked after babies and toddlers for over 8 days at a time. And I have been on cruises where parents were "vacationing " with their children. Even if all three adults are prepared to put in full time caregiving, I don't think it is a good idea. If this is the only way you can go cruising, ... I'd hire a nanny to go with you!

As for where or what line, at that age, I'd say any line will do. The children won't know the difference. If you are prepared to entertain toddlers, stay in the room with them when they are tired or out of sorts, remove them from quiet places when they get bored, keep them out of the pools (no diapers in pools), and pay the price for each child, then there is no reason to leave them at home.

Ask for the help of a good TA who knows what questions to ask and can help you all consider the options.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

everittp

When asked if I would consider going on a trip with this young family my impression was (having never been on a cruise nor really wanting to go on one), that it would be ideal. However, I talked with an agent yesterday who said the very same thing: don't go on a cruise.

So I take the advice seriously and thank you for it.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 12:53 PM

Congratulations on saying no. I can imagine that was difficult.

I am a grandmother. I do like to travel. I go alone. For a single woman, a cruise is the easiest way to vacation in foreign ports. No hefting luggage in and out of vehicles, unpacking every night and repacking every morning. Your bedroom and restaurant follow you!

But, when my children want to have a vacation, I send them off and I keep my grandchildren. I find that they are happiest with their routine, their toys, books, daycare, bed. Little excursions to the playground, pool, zoo, library are more than enough before age 7 or 8!
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 06:06 AM

How old are the children and why NOT Disney? Too Disney???
Last time I went on a Disney cruise the kids had their own program every day and were never seen nor heard from..perfect for the adults amongst us and the kids loved it.

You might pose your question on either cruise-addicts.com or cruisecritic.com where you'll get MANY more answers.
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 07:55 AM

Look for rates at:
www.costco.com
www.cruisequick.com
Personally I enjoy Carnival. How old are the kids? If they are less than 15 or 16 a cruise may not be the best for them. Perhaps an all inclusive would be better, esp. of they are around 10-12.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

I think I should have put the ages in the body of my question instead of in the title.

The children are under three and I hadn't considered considered some of the disadvantages I now see. I think Disney Cruising is okay for older children.

Thanks for your answers. Just asking the question brought me the answer.