Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Strange email from "PROCC" about cruise rebate (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/strange-email-from-procc-about-cruise-rebate-326021/)

gail Mar 18th, 2008 03:29 PM

Strange email from "PROCC" about cruise rebate

Just received a strange email from "PROCC" about my "upcoming Celebrity reservation" and mentioning some rebate of fuel surcharge. I am instructed to call a number with credit card info - which of course I am not going to do - especially since I do not have an upcoming Celebrity sailing (am going on Princess in June and did sail on Celebrity a year ago).

Anyone else get such an email and if so have any idea what it is all about - phishing, scam, are my first thoughts. But if by some chance it is legitimate, I'll take the money.

spurs Mar 18th, 2008 11:06 PM

Nothing strange, just another scam. It shows how fast these people can react. Cruise lines have credit cards info on file and should refund fuel surcharge without your call.

Jeff801 Mar 19th, 2008 07:33 AM

My recollection of the news release from the Florida AG is that the cruise lines have the option of retaining any money paid in for fuel surcharges and crediting the shipboard accounts of the guests.

Even with low(ering) interest rates, it is likely that is what the cruise lines would prefer, particularly given the cost of issuing checks to each guest.

spurs Mar 19th, 2008 10:18 AM

It is onboard credit for upcoming cruises, and money refund for past cruises. Checks will be issued for guests paid by checks. If you paid with CC, it will be credited back.

BjorkChop Mar 19th, 2008 11:09 AM

This is not a scam. Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Azamara cruises must refund the fuel surcharge they passed onto guests if they booked prior to Nov. 16, 2007. Guests booked before Nov. 16 and have taken their cruise will receive their refund through the form of payment used to purchase the cruise. Guests booked before Nov. 16, 2007 and haven't yet departed on their cruise will receive their refund as an onboard credit during their sailing. Gail, contact your TA or Celebrity about it. We all received an email about it from our Celebrity/Azamara rep. last week.

gail Mar 19th, 2008 12:10 PM

Well, then maybe it is not a scam. I will see if it shows up on my credit card and then contact Celebrity if it doesn't. (But I am still not giving anyone my credit card number)

spurs Mar 19th, 2008 01:17 PM

Gail, do you really expect to get any money for cruise you took a year ago? What for? You know the fuel surcharge was only introduced in November 2007, don't you? Now I understand why scamming is blooming.

CruiseDiva Mar 19th, 2008 01:43 PM

This is from Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd's press release (which also applies to Celebrity & Azamara):

"Royal Caribbean will eliminate the fuel supplement for any guests who had a booking made prior to November 16. Guests booked before November 16 who paid the fuel supplement and have taken their cruise will receive a refund through the form of payment used to purchase their sailing. Guests booked before November 16 who paid the fuel supplement and have not taken their cruise will receive their refund as an onboard credit during their sailing."

If you'd like to read the entire release, it's at http://cruisediva.blogspot.com/2008/...luntarily.html

gail Mar 19th, 2008 04:54 PM

spurs - I don't "expect" to get anything - as I said in my first posting, I expect to get scammed. But if there is any chance it is not a scam, I will take the money.

kfusto Mar 20th, 2008 09:52 AM

It is not a scam and is posted on Celebrity's website.

gail Mar 20th, 2008 10:38 AM

Thanks - if I had half a brain I might have thought to look there. Seems something will appear automatically on my credit card.

spurs Mar 20th, 2008 10:55 AM

kfusto, if you are referring to Fuel Supplement Statement: where does it say that passengers need to call PROCC with their credit card number? The cruise was taken a year ago when there was no fuel supplement at all, so what's Celebrity going to return? Am I missing something?

kfusto Mar 20th, 2008 01:50 PM

I was not specific enough in my post, sorry.

The refund is not a scam, cannot speak to the method of obtaining it but surely a call to the cruise line would be the best place to get that info.