Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Starting to Freak about Airfare Prices.....Help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/starting-to-freak-about-airfare-prices-help-242837/)

Lenore Jul 24th, 2002 01:08 PM

Starting to Freak about Airfare Prices.....Help!

My husband and I booked a Southern Caribbean Thanksgiving cruise on Princess exactly one month ago. I've been checking airfare from Ft Lauderdale to San Juan daily. Spirit has been consistently lowest at $330pp/rt, but I'd rather not fly them. American, who we have FF miles with and does lots of direct flights, just RAISED their price on the flights that work for us. It was $500 and now it's $596pp.....ridiculous! The trip is still four months away. At what point should I start to panick? Is it still too early to get deals for the end of November?

Kirk Jul 24th, 2002 01:42 PM

Still to early. Try in about a month.

carol Jul 24th, 2002 01:47 PM

Airfare to Florida and the Caribbean at Thanksgiving? It's never to early and don't expect to see big discounts over the biggest travel time of the year. Airlines black out the lowest prices for the heaviest travel days. Go early and stay late!

Andy Jul 24th, 2002 02:53 PM

Lenore- I always book my airfare to FLA over thanksgivng way back in MARCH of the same year I am travelling....<BR><BR>Since it is a holiday, you may NOT find cheaper air--unless a smaller "off-brand" of airline is flying to San Juan...ie SPIRIT--<BR><BR>If it were me,I would grab the SPIRIT flight- $330 is dirt cheap to get to San Juan over the holiday season...

HC Jul 24th, 2002 03:39 PM

lenore<BR><BR>I'd book Spirit. I have flown Spirit before and never had ANY problems. You can't beat that price. Go Spirit!

tess Jul 24th, 2002 04:54 PM

Lenore, take it from me. I wasn't sure if we were going to Florida this thanksgiving so when I checked the airfare in February, it was still cheap. I waited till last week to book and guess what, the prices tripled! My advice to you, fly with Spirit airline. It's only a 1 or 2 hour flight from FL to San Juan so it won't be that bad. If not, then book with American because the price will continue to go up.

Paul Therault Jul 24th, 2002 08:52 PM

Hi Lenore,<BR><BR>You bet the holiday prices are high the later you book. Wait until Spirit fills their planes in a couple more weeks if you want to see ridiculous prices.<BR><BR>Airlines have reduced their flights dramatically since 9/11 and they are not going to hire back crew and bring up planes just for the holidays.<BR><BR>Book Spirit quick!<BR><BR>Paul

Lenore Jul 25th, 2002 08:48 AM

Thanks everyone! Just to clarify, we live in the FLL market so we don't have to fly to Florida.....just to San Juan. We need to leave the Saturday BEFORE Thanksgiving weekend (Nov 23rd) and fly back the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend (Nov 30th). I've been studying the airfares, and it appears that the high volume blackout dates surrounding Thanksgiving weekend do NOT include Nov 30th. That's why I was waiting for American to reduce their rates (which they just did, but the flight times don't work....darn!)

Andy Jul 25th, 2002 10:32 AM

Lenore- the SUNDAY AFTER Thanksgiving is THE most heavily travelled day of the year--No matter WHERE you are flying out of.....Kids need to get back to college and families on thanksgiving break want to fly home--<BR><BR>Take the cheapest flight you can find now-it will NOT get cheaper..

angie Jul 26th, 2002 08:20 PM

I agree; you've probably waited too long. Sunday after Thanksgiving is heaviest, followed by Wednesday before, then closely followed by the Saturday and Monday after Thanksgiving (all the people who needed Sunday and waited too late). Those fares are going up on you, the seats are selling out! Buy now!

Nanette Jul 27th, 2002 06:21 AM

I've had wonderful luck on ORBITZ.... airfares and hotels.<BR><BR>www.orbitz.com<BR><BR>Good luck!

Lenore Jul 28th, 2002 06:23 AM

Thanks again. We want to fly back on Saturday Nov 30th, not Sunday. I've been checking Orbitz and American's websites daily, plus checking Expedia and Travelocity periodically. Orbitz did run a few cheaper fares this past week, but the flight times wouldn't get us to the ship on time. I'll give it another week or two.

love2travel Jul 29th, 2002 05:07 PM

I wouldn't. Get what you can now. That's the heaviest travel period of the year. When Sunday after Thanksgiving starts getting ridiculous price-wise, people back up to Saturday. That will be the next to go. Get it now!

Paul Therault Jul 29th, 2002 11:13 PM

Lenore .... apparently you are not listening to anyone so just wait as long as you feel comfortable. Keep in mind that the next step up when economy is all sold out is first-class. Then when you try to go to the cruise line and find out that your gateway city is closed for air .....plan on driving to San Juan.<BR><BR>But please let us know how you made out.<BR><BR>Paul

Bob Aug 1st, 2002 01:16 PM

Leonore:<BR><BR>Not sure where you're getting your info., but try Orbitz.com. For an 11/23-11/30 round trip, American is $285; ATA is a little less. All kinds of availablility out of Miami too.<BR><BR>Good luck!

Paul Therault Aug 2nd, 2002 12:58 AM

Go get that price Lenore. Let us know. You will prove us all wrong.<BR><BR>Paul<BR>

Lenore Aug 2nd, 2002 08:42 AM

Paul - It's not that I'm not listening, it's just that I don't like the answers I'm hearing! (LOL) I am being very optimistic and perhaps unrealistic because I want the perfect times (leave FLL in morning and leave SJU in early afternoon), the perfect airline (American, since they fly direct and we get miles) and the perfect price. Plus we are trying to buy one of the tickets using miles accumulated from a credit card. I can't book on Orbitz and use the miles too. It's such a complicated mess! Flying out of Miami is an option, but kind of a last resort. Going to that airport is like entering another country! Ft Lauderdale is half the distance and so much more pleasant. I'll post my results once booked. Thanks again everyone.

Andy Aug 2nd, 2002 09:01 AM

Lenore- Do NOT wait --or else you may be chartering your own sailboat to get the cruiseship in San Juan....<BR><BR>They are NOT going to get cheaper!!!!<BR><BR>If you wait too late, you will either pay an exhorbitantly HIGH price or have to cancel your cruise for the reason of NOT being able to get a plane in/out of San Juan.....<BR><BR>Forget using FF miles-it is a HOLIDAY BLACK OUT time!!

Bob Aug 2nd, 2002 10:19 AM

Lenore:<BR><BR>Much better to save the FF miles for an expensive domestic flight (rather than a $300 one.)

Patty Aug 2nd, 2002 11:20 AM

Lenore,<BR>I agree with Bob, if you can find a good fare, it may not be worth cashing in the miles. Not sure about AA but most airlines require 30-35K for a Caribbean destination. Not worth it if you can buy a ticket for $300 IMO.