st. lucia, antigua and st. maarten

May 13th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

st. lucia, antigua and st. maarten

during our june rccl adventure of the seas cruise i have made arrangements to rent a car on st. john, usvi and on barbados. still i am looking for insight to the best tour/way to see the islands of st. lucia, antigua and st. maarten. we dock at 7 a.m., depart 5:30 p.m. on each one.
has anyone done the rain forest cycling adventure shore excursion on st.lucia? we are active outdoor adventurers and like to bike. is it too much transport time to be worth it?
on antiqua is it a good idea to do a taxi tour and what would be "must sees"?
in st. maarten, the same?
thanks again.
oh, one last thing, can we rent snorkle gear somewhere in cruz bay, st. john island?
thanks again.
May 15th, 2003, 08:25 AM
JMM

On Antigua - I highly recommend a taxi tour. Don't take the ship's tour, you see the same stuff but for more money. The highlights (in my opinion) are English Harbour and Nelson's Dockyard (admission - save your ticket afterward), Shirley Heights and Dows Hill (inlcuded in Nelson's Dockyard ticket). The drive to English Harbour is quite pleasant - you will pass old sugar mills along the way and most taxi drivers will point out anything of interest. After you have seen the sights the taxi driver can either return you to the ship or drop you at a beach and pick you up later. Just arrange what you want up front with the dispatcher and confirm the price with the driver. St Lucia is a nice island for a catamarran trip - ideally to The Pitons (definitely worth seeing).
May 15th, 2003, 11:07 AM

Trop,
Prior going on our cruise, I made arrangements to take a Jungle tour called Double Fun Falls. If you go to their web site, you can book the tour. Go to www.jungletoursstlucia.com. The tour we took was an all day tour in the 4wheel drive vehicles like they show on the web site. They know that you'll have to be back to the ship by a certain time and they do get you back on time. The tour was really nice. It's a great way to see the island. You'll also meet some of the people in the jungles that sell coconuts, oranges, bananas, etc. They take you to the Pitons which are absolutley beautiful. It's a great all day tour. It leaves right from the dock next to the ship.
May 15th, 2003, 02:18 PM

There are no 'bicycle lanes' on these islands, and on some they are driving the 'wrong way' and very hilly.

One little 'oops' by any member of your family and the vacation is ruined for everyone. I have seen it happen.

Enjoy the tours, you can check out conditions for the next time.

Smooth seas and big drinks!
May 15th, 2003, 02:57 PM

We also did the jungletoursstlucia.com We really enjoyed this tour. It was one of the highlights of our cruise. Well worth the money. Antigua we just went to Dickensons Bay and rode a wave runner. Nice relaxing day at the beach. Not so sure about renting cars. I don't think it is necessary for once you get off the ship there are many taxi's, tour bus's etc. that will love to show you around for a reasonble price. I think you would get more info from a tour rather than renting a car. Just my opinion. I would go to the French side of St. Martin it is well worth it. You will dock on the dutch side. Just take a taxi I think it is $65.00 rd trip. On our cruise it was voted the favorite Island.
May 15th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

diann
what jungletoursstlucia did you do. we were interested in the rainforest hiking one. are there certain tours that they designate only for cruise folks. i have written them but got no response. we were not that interested in the volcano beach tour.

wannabecruising
what is the double fun falls trip about, sounds like fun.

thanks again.
May 16th, 2003, 12:51 PM

The Double Fun Falls trip is a 5-6 hour tour of St. Lucia. Its not a hike. Your tour guide will be a Sal. He is the guy whose pictured at the bottom of the first page of the web site. www.jungletoursstlucia.com. The tour is in the open aired 4 wheel drive jeep like trucks. It is really the best excursion we have ever taken. I can honestly say that we know St. Lucia better than any other island in the Caribbean. Sal does a great job of showing you the Islands. We ate fresh fruit from the locals. We ate some kind of fruit fritter that one of the local woman was cooking on her outdoor oven. We went up to and all around the Pitons. Sal gave us some great scenic views of the island. The trip starts at the dock, goes through Souferries into the rain forests and onto the Pitons. We also bathed in a volcanically warmed stream. This was the most interesting tour we have ever taken. My wife burns easily and can't stay in the sun long. Fortunately we had an overcast day and she was fine. It's a full day tourning the island.
May 16th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

thanks diann. think we will do that one, see all we can and get a taste of local culture.
May 17th, 2003, 06:42 AM

On St. Martin, we rented a motor scooter (the rental place was about a 10 minute walk from the pier); unlike sme of the other islands, St. Martin is relatively flat, the roads are good and the signs are clear. We drove into Phillipsburg, did a self-guided walking tour (there are lots of jewelry stores, if that's your thing), drove to the French side for lunch, and an excellent history museum, continued on to Orient Beach for a little fun in the sun, and then back to the ship. We would have had enough time for another stop, but we just weren't sure how long the trip around the whole island would take. It was a great day.
On St. Lucia, none of the shore excursions went to exactly what we wanted to see, so we negotiated with a cab driver (they're licensed by the gov't as guides) when we got off the ship. He was very knowledgeable, ponted out lots of things as he drove, knew the best places to stop for photos, and took us where we wanted to go--the drive in volcano, planation with demonstrations, and waterfall with hiking trails. Yake your bathing suits so you can swim at the waterfall.
May 17th, 2003, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

abram
we are docking in st maarten. are there scooter rentals there as well that you know of?
May 17th, 2003, 01:58 PM

Tropicalbreeze, we did the same one I believe as wannabecruising did. There was no hiking, we did go to this stream, a pool, stopped for lunch, and to a volcano which was very interesting. Ours was the one that is $75.00. Open jeep 4X4. Includes lunch, in a hotel, on an open patio. The lunch was o.k. I would highly recommend this tour. I e-mailed them before going on the cruise and received confirmation from them immediately. Not sure why you aren't hearing from them. Try again or I am not sure how they would know you wanted to go with them. They meet you at the dock.