Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   sovereign of the seas (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/sovereign-of-the-seas-241027/)

Rita Jul 18th, 2002 03:29 PM

sovereign of the seas

We are taking this ship to Bahamas 8/29/2 and would apperciate any comments. We did splurge a little anf booked class D suppose to have bigger staterooms and oceanview? Any info please.

Susan Jul 18th, 2002 04:24 PM

run down, short party type cruise. have fun

linda Jul 18th, 2002 05:48 PM

the Sovereign is old. No frills, no atrium, no lobster....a very basic cruise with pretty bad entertainment and not great service. Why don't you save some $$$ and book a decent 7 day cruise? This oneis filled with people who have "won" a cruise with sales jobs, etc.

xman Jul 19th, 2002 05:43 AM

Sovereign of the Seas, Ugh!<BR><BR>The food is bad. Soggy fries, dried out hamburgers, etc....<BR><BR>No real late night buffets.<BR><BR><BR>Over priced extras.<BR><BR><BR>Excursions are poorly run.<BR><BR>You'd be better off with Carnival.

xxx Jul 19th, 2002 06:27 AM

I sailed that ship back in June 2001 and I didn't have a problem with it. (3 night to Bahamas) Snorkel excursion in Bahamas was fine. Ship didn't look run down to me. Didn't notice a lot of partiers. We had booked the cheapest cabin available (guarantee) but were upgraded to a room with a window. I admit if you are looking for world class cuisine you won't find it here. But I thought the Italian night in the buffet was good. Go and enjoy yourselves!

Liz Jul 19th, 2002 08:11 AM

We loved our stay on the Sovereign of the Seas!!!! My 11 year old son and I sailed last March and had great service, food, and activities. Going on the Enchantment April, 2003. Don't let the negative posts worry you- you'll enjoy your cruise!

Bennie Jul 19th, 2002 09:09 AM

For all of those Carnival bashers, I would like to echo the same feelings towards the Sovereign of the seas. This ship sucks. You get what you pay for. I hope that you did not pay more than $500 per person (even with that class D cabin).<BR><BR>Try and forget that your ship sucks and enjoy the trip.

Carnival Lover Jul 19th, 2002 09:21 AM

Actually, the Soverign was the first ship with an Atruim.<BR>Cabins are small, as are all RCCL cabins, even the Cat D are smaller than Carnival Cabins.<BR>That said, do not be discouraged by the people on this board.<BR>I would have sold you Carnival for the Lobster, larger cabin, and better entertainment, but this ship is not that old only about 14 years, she was the very first 70,000+ ton ship.

John Marshall Jul 19th, 2002 09:26 AM

Carnival Fantasy does the Canaveral to Nassau trip as 3 and 4 day trips and is only a 1991 ship. If it is not set in stone, change from the sovereign to the fantasy.

ginger Jul 19th, 2002 10:05 AM

The Sovereign is ok for an older ship. The cabins are smaller because of the older era, but really nothing wrong with it.<BR><BR>I had no problem with entertainment and food (except for Windjammer dinners) but could tell it was built in '88!<BR><BR>Just realize it is a short cruise!<BR><BR>