Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Southern Caribbean - Which cruise line? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/southern-caribbean-which-cruise-line-304586/)

mjz Apr 7th, 2003 11:21 AM

Southern Caribbean - Which cruise line?

I would like to take my partner on a southern Carribean cruise in January '03. What cruise line do you recommend?<BR><BR>We are 29 and 32. Well travelled. I've only cruised once and that was 5 years ago on Carnival (eastern out of FL). I was not at all impressed. I thought the food and service were lacking and the ship (Destiny) was way too flashy for my tastes.<BR><BR>I'm looking for something a little more refined. More mahagony and glass than neon and brass. I would like good food and service as well as nice cabins. <BR><BR>I've heard good things about Celebrity. However, I'm intrigued by the Norwegian Sky. I really like the ports of call, but the cheap price makes me wonder about the quality. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. <BR><BR>By the way, we are a discrete gay couple and not at all interested in a gay themed cruise.<BR><BR>Regards.

Misha Apr 7th, 2003 11:51 AM

I would recommend Princess if they have a Southern Caribbean itinerary. MUCH nicer than Carnival - wonderful food and service. Wood and glass, don't recall seeing ANY neon ... Friends said they thought NCL was cheezy ... the people mix on Princess was really nice, families, singles, young, old, middle aged, you name it. There might have been gay couples -- I saw male couples and female couples, but who knows? I was there with my friend (we're women in our 40's) and we're not gay ... we were HAPPY, but not gay!! Go, you'll love it.

Tango Apr 7th, 2003 12:22 PM

We just got back from a Radisson Cruise to Cozumel, Cayman Islands and Key West. The cruise was quite expensive (after all was said and done - around $4000 for two including air) but it was fabulous. The food was fantastic, the service was practically one on one and the boat itself was very understated. <BR><BR>If you did go, you would definitely be the youngest on board and there are not a lot of entertainment type of things on board, but it was extremely restful and elegant.<BR><BR>Also, not that you would care but we did see several same sex couples that seemed to be enjoying themselves.<BR><BR>If you are interested in checking out all kinds of cruises, go to www.cruisecritic.com. That is where I got the best info - especially on the forums.

holiday_buzz Feb 1st, 2008 02:23 AM

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure how to answer this question as I have only sailed once before like yourself, but www.cruise.co.uk has this section where you post questions like this, and people in the cruise community can answer them. There's also a reviews bit where you might be able to find out more about specific cruise lines. Hope this helps a little.

kfusto Feb 1st, 2008 08:13 AM

This post is 5 years old.

doug_stallings Feb 1st, 2008 08:14 AM

Holland America and Celebrity have more refined decor, but I think the experience you are looking for is on a luxury line. If you can afford it, I'd recommend Regent Seven Seas or SeaDream with the caveat that you will be among the younger passengers. If you want a more formal experience, then Seabourn. But you pay about three times the cost of a Norwegian Cruise Lines cruise for something of this type, though the prices are all-inclusive (including drinks ... basically everything but spa and shore excursions).

To get a better, more refined experience you must be willing to pay.

Having said that, Princess is a general step-up from Carnival, but NCL has decor that's almost as gaudy as Carnival.