weather and type of clothing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I are taking a 7 night cruise from Barcelona and up the coast of Italy in Novemeber. We have been on Carribean cruises and know what to wear, but this one we are wondering..Tropical type clothing? Bright colors or is it going to be the typical travel clothes for cooler climes? I don't want to make a faux pax in wearing caribbean type clothing. Thanks
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 04:49 AM

Sgillingha, Barcelona and Italy in November are definitely not the places to wear caribbean type clothing! Look up some weather averages for the places you will be visiting. You'll probably want raincoats and warm sweaters rather than swimsuits.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 07:45 AM

Be prepared to dress in layers. It will not be very warm, rain is possible.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 09:37 AM

You're going about 1 month late IMO to have had optimum weather. I would definitely take light weight sweaters for day time wear. Hopefully you'll avoid much rain. Definitely no Caribbean clothes. Make sure you bring very comfortable shoes, Europe is all about walking. Hope you have very nice fall weather.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 09:49 AM

Do not bring light weight sweaters. Bring heavy weight sweaters. And gloves. And a windproof and rainproof jacket. And medication against seasickness.

Weather will be nasty. It will be wintertime in the Mediterranean. The locals will be wearing winter coates, fur caps and heavy boots.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 04:17 PM

First of all, What part of November? Second,if it's the first part or the middele of November you could get lucky and get some moderate temps; in the high 60's or low 70's, but then again it could be in the low 40's or low 50's. When my wife and I did a cruise last Nov. 9th from Venice to Rome we had great weather and only one day of rain(out of 12). The average temp was probably in the low to mid 60's but we had no rain. Take clothes that you can layer but also that you can start with something that you won't burn up in. Yes take some gloves and a scarf and some kind of hat that you can pull over your ears if needed but don't make your whole wardrobe heavy.We are from Sonoma County Calif. and I run around in Shorts and T-shirts most of the time but when we did get to our Daughters in Germany at the end of Nov. I was cold and did layer on the clothes and used the gloves, scarf and watch cap. The cruise line should have a chart that can tell you the average temp for the placeses that you will be stopping at so check that out. Good cruiseing.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 05:34 AM

It may be the luck of the draw. I've been to both Spain and Italy in early December and lucked out with mild (not warm) weather. Definitely pack to anticipate cold and dress in layers. Any chance of moving your cruise up to early to mid October ? That is the BEST weather IMO..

Old Aug 4th, 2008, 06:06 AM

The windproof jacket is important for when you are on deck aboard the moving ship. It's difficult to enjoy the view when you are freezing. We learned the hard way on an Alaskan cruise, where our wool jackets were almost useless against the wind.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 10:08 AM

Here's my packlist for Europe:

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=1440268

For the cruise I add a black blazer, white no-iron dress shirt, and black tie.

I couple those with my black pants and shoes for a formal look that doesn't require a lot of extra packing.

For a woman, a rayon dress in cocktail length (that can compress to about nothing) and a pair of dressy black sandals or pumps works well. Bring some costume jewelry and a silk scarf to change the look for different nights. They sell shawls on the ship at reasonable prices in case you need one.

Other than that nice casual clothes that you normally take to Europe work great on the cruise as well.

Packing a tux or full length formal will leave you feeling overpacked and overdressed. Not everyone dresses formally and of those that do, only a small percentage really dress up.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 11:15 AM

We've done two Med cruises in late October to mid November. There were times when I wore lightweight capris, short sleeved shirts, and sandals, and times when I wore long pants, a long sleeved shirt, a micro fleece, a rain jacket, shoes and socks.